Late applications and waiting lists?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mojojojo

Late applications and waiting lists?

Post by mojojojo »

Hi, I'm new to these forums over the last couple of days, and have found all the information and advice posted (old and new) really useful. I've been having a look through older and new threads, and would appreciate some thoughts, if anyone knows, on how Late Applications work. Apologies in advance for the length of my post!

We are currently no. 4 on the SHSG ooc list, which seems quite positive. However, I've seen a few posts that infer that it's quite likely that initial list positions could go down, as late applications are processed.

Having looked on the LA website, I'm not quite clear on how this works: (my bolding)

"Applications received from parents after the closing date and who, in the view of the Pupil Access Team, could normally have completed an application on-time will be treated as late applications. Such applications will be considered after all on-time applications have been considered and the initial allocation of places are notified to parents on National Offer Day"

Does this mean that (for example) someone who had not previously applied for a school could, seeing the allocations and cut off points, then decide to apply as a late application, and get put ahead of existing people on the waiting list?

Sorry if I'm being massively naive, and obviously I'm totally biased in favour of my own circumstances, but that doesn't seem particularly fair to me.

However, if that is the case, I would at least like to understand it clearly, so that I can manage mine and DD's expectations.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone has - even from the other perspective :)
ahap

Re: Late applications and waiting lists?

Post by ahap »

Late applications to Southend schools get added on to around the 28th of March. So the ones at the top of the waiting list do get places before the 28th if and when the council receive rejections. However last year there were only a few late applicants as there are now 6 choices for Essex CC residents so they tend to use those. Whereas 2 years ago the ECC residents had only 4, due to this some had to apply late to some schools when they don't receive offers from ECC schools but would receive an offer from one of the Southend schools due to their scores and if their scores are higher than the ones already on the waiting list then they are given a place in the waiting list higher up.
Last edited by ahap on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Thank you, ahap, that's useful to know.
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

My daughter was on the waiting list for Colchester. They have the same system as Southend in that people in theory could jump you if a late application had a higher score. I was very worried as she was 5th on the waiting list on allocation day. She wasn't overtaken by anyone at any point. Obviously it could happen but it didn't to us. She was offered a place in June. Longest 3 months ever!!
ahap

Post by ahap »

My DS was 6th in the waiting list for a Southend GS. Around 3 places were given to those on the waiting list before 28th of March where my DS then would've gone up to 2nd or 3rd but on the the 28th late applicants were added and he went down to 14th place and then slowly crawled his way up the waiting list to 1st and then stopped there at the end of June. But this was 2 yrs ago. I don't think you'll get as many late applications now because of the fact that you know your results before you apply to schools and you have the choice of 6 which is now at par with the near boroughs and counties. So you may only get a few late applications due to other reasons or not any at all hopefully. :)
Last edited by ahap on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

I really hope so. Thanks, both. My husband thinks I should stop torturing myself and trying to second-guess what will happen, but it's really hard :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now