Advise please!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bikkigirl

Re: Advise please!!!

Post by Bikkigirl »

Just to say my DS did 11plus in 2013 and is lucky enough to have a place at KEGS we did not read any of the classics as I couldn't see the point in wading through stuff he didn't want to read. He reads a lot and enjoys a wide variety of books so his vocab is good. You can get lots of good vocab from books like Harry potter or the Hobbit We did read together and look up or discuss unknown words. He also did lots of practise comprehension using more modern texts and lots of the eleven plus past comprehensions. I think maybe looking at a chapter and discussing vocab might be a good idea but I wouldn't get them to read the whole books unless they're especially keen that could be really hard work for you both. Just my thoughts!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Totally agree with Bikkigirl, my DS is off to CRGS with 370.855 and his English really was his weak area. We tried to read part of Christmas Carol, and I even made him watch the film, but apart from that we just took 'parts' of text to work with. Like Bikkigirl's DS, mine had read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and that seemed enough. It's vital to work on a broad understanding of actual WORDS I think. We printed off Patricia's lists and we still do word lists with both our boys. 4 new words every 3-4 days, added to the master list, tested regularly by DH and I grabbing the list and running through it.
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

We also printed off Patricia's list and found he knew quite a lot of them, we weren't as dedicated as you guys but I felt he knew enough of them. There is also a lot that can be grasped from the context which it is important for them to understand.
pg19

Post by pg19 »

thank you all,precious and priceless advise.good luck to all for their Ds /Dd.
Pg
chinners

Post by chinners »

Bikkigirl wrote:We also printed off Patricia's list and found he knew quite a lot of them, we weren't as dedicated as you guys but I felt he knew enough of them. There is also a lot that can be grasped from the context which it is important for them to understand.
Hi,

Please which is Patricia's list? My Ds is taking the eleven plus this September as well and his comprehension needs work. He does love reading but his vocabulary needs building. I will start reading with him as advised and looking up new words, thanks for your advise.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Hi my DS I sitting this Sept too and again comprehension is his weak earlier and it's very difficult to get him to read anything with hard words. He just glosses over them and pretends to know then until I quiz him in detail. Not helped by his dislike of reading out loud argghhh!

What is Patricia's list that others have mentioned? It sounds like that could be a useful tool
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 41#p395241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if this will work this is a different list which might work while I look for the other one!
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

Found it!!

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/free-1 ... -reasoning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now