School open day - year 4 or 5

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JamesDean

Re: School open day - year 4 or 5

Post by JamesDean »

herdream1 wrote:Thank you for replies, much appreciated.
Guest55: which schools take viewers on normal school days?
Around here (Warks) the GS have their open days in May/June to coincide with the 11+ registration period, while the non-selectives have theirs in Sept. To give DS a fair comparison, we phoned our local comp and they very happily agreed to give us a tour one morning. The HT does them himself, and DS was not on his own so this must be very common. It is after all in the school's interest as they are competing with the GS for the pupils ...

Give the school a ring, Herdream, and see what they say :)

JD
talea51

Post by talea51 »

CCHS don't do tours during the school day. I asked, they refused. They have the open evening in June and that's the only look you get at the school.

WHSG have the open day and then, in Oct after the results have been released, they have an information afternoon where you get another look (quite quick) around the school and a talk from the head teacher about the results, how many ic passed and how many oc places there are etc. The best thing about the information afternoon for us was the opportunity to have another look at the school.

All the comps in my area do open evenings and then tours around the school during the school day. I have no idea why CCHS aren't keen for anyone to look around their school during the school day but they aren't.

ColCHSG offers tours of the school during the day and then, on a separate evening, the head teachers talk. Of all the schools we went to, I preferred the format of ColCHSG.
mclm

Post by mclm »

ColCHS format is very good, however note that they do only allow year 5's to book a place, not year 4.
bravado

Post by bravado »

This is taken from the Colchester County High website:

"Our next Open Events, for prospective students currently in Year 5, will be held from Tuesday 8 July 2014 - Friday 11 July 2014 inclusive, along with an Information Evening and talk from the Head teacher on Monday 14 July 2014. Places for these events will be bookable via our reception on 01206 576973 after the Easter Holiday"

http://www.cchsg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can highly recommend the ColCHS open days: informal and a wonderful chance to see the girls in lessons. We deliberately chose not to take DD2 in Yr 4 and for us, it was the right decision for so many reasons. Leaving it to the end of Yr5 gave the additional spur to her already strong desire to be there. We also used it as a familiarisation opportunity, so that she knew the layout of the school before sitting the 11+ in the September :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now