11+ Entrants Sept 2014 General Chit Chat Thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nikkibeak

11+ Entrants Sept 2014 General Chit Chat Thread

Post by Nikkibeak »

My DS will be sitting the exam in September and I've notice there's lots of camaraderie and moral support to be had from other parents on here but I've not found a thread where this year's entrants can all have a chat and worry together :) So here it is somewhere for us to have a worry and share experiences together.
Manana

Re: 11+ Entrants Sept 2014 General Chit Chat Thread

Post by Manana »

DD is doing it this September, too! I swing between relatively calm and worried sick! I got her to read the 2010 English paper this evening and she cried. It's the horrible Bleak House extract and really is horrid-help!

The maths she seems to be ok at, the CW, she's definitely improving and the VR she's fairly steady, but as they've taken out the bits of the English that I thought were easy marks, I'm worried she'l really come unstuck here!

Which school are you trying for?
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Manana wrote:DD is doing it this September, too! I swing between relatively calm and worried sick! I got her to read the 2010 English paper this evening and she cried. It's the horrible Bleak House extract and really is horrid-help!

The maths she seems to be ok at, the CW, she's definitely improving and the VR she's fairly steady, but as they've taken out the bits of the English that I thought were easy marks, I'm worried she'l really come unstuck here!

Hi Manana
We're trying for KEGS or CRGS as we're in the middle of the two. I'm like you one minute thinking it'll be ok and the next worried sick. Math's is my DS's strong area but we did the new example paper the other day and there are questions in there of a type that we've not come across in any of our other study books. I'm wondering if it comes under NVR. The ones where A=1, B=2, C=3 then find the sum and product of various words. That bit was ok but it was when he had to find a word with a given product that we came unstuck. Guess I need to hunt for some practice ones.

Crusoe

Post by Crusoe »

Dear Nikkibeak,

I am glad that you started this chit chat.

My DD will be sitting for both CSSE and CEM. But we are trying CCHS as we are living IC.

My emotions are same like both of you Manana and Nikkibeak. The days my DD do her test or practice very well; I'm feeling positive and the other days felling worried, sick and not ready to face this journey. However, we are trying hard and pushing ourselves as we are very close to our countdown.

Very recently , dd shows her self- motivation to learn and do more practice. That's positive and easing my pressure.
She is consistent in all (Maths, VR, English and NVR) so far.....Not sure how it will be in real test.. But hoping for the best.

I wish all the parents wishes,effort and children's hard work should be paid for.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Hi Crusoe

wow I hadn't thought of the poor girls who now have to sit 2 exams because of the CCHS using the CEM. I suppose it does have a plus side though because I panic about only having the 1 chance on the day but I guess at least you have the hope that if one of the tests turns out to be a nightmare on the day then the other may be better.

I seem to be finding that all of the Bond/GL Assessment practice tests aren't as hard as the example papers that CSSE have given. I'm worried that he will be doing fine in his practice then still struggle with a harder test on the day.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Have we got any other KEGS hopefuls on here for this year?
loopsngeorge

Post by loopsngeorge »

Yes, but also looking at WHSB and Southend. Can't believe how soon September is!
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

loopsngeorge wrote:Yes, but also looking at WHSB and Southend. Can't believe how soon September is!
Yes I can't believe how fast time is running away. I've just registered my DS for the test, eeeek!!!
Manana

Post by Manana »

I'm just about to register! Just to confirm (and I should know this!) but you don't have to sit the test at the school you want them to go to, do you? I was wondering about DD sitting it at St Bernards as I'd heard it might be quieter on the day but I don't want her to go there. Or should I just put down the school I do want her to go to as it might be nice for her to take the test there!?
KB

Post by KB »

You can choose where to take the test.
There was a discussion a little while ago about merits of different centres if you do a quick look back at threads.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now