Is anyone going through this for the second/thirdtime and...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manana

Re: Is anyone going through this for the second/thirdtime an

Post by Manana »

I'm glad that everyone else feels the same as me!

Are you doing much VR at all? I wonder if the last page of the English paper (the one on the familiarisation paper where you have just that one type of VR (Complete the words using the same letter to end the first word and start the second.) will be what they'll use on the actual one? Or will they suddenly throw in a load of code questions?!
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Nobody knows what is coming out in the VR. The Familiarisation paper is just a guideline I wouldn't dare beleive that the type shown therein is what is coming out. Since we dont know, it best we keep practising all types....maybe not as much time needs to be devoted to this as before but none the less our dcs must not forget their codes n stuff.

Optimisticmom
mumof2girls

Post by mumof2girls »

Thanks optimisticmum, I am proud that I did it, although as you say it was her intelligence that got her through. DD2 is in some ways brighter, as she has had to do everything a year younger (being an August baby) but just not sure if she has the emotional intelligence to cope with the exam. Time will tell...

I am still doing VR, because she enjoys it and is good at it, so boosts her confidence, she loves the non VR which according to DD1 there was a lot in the CCHS exam, but the maths and English are still hard, although I remember DD1 completely struggling with the CSSE past papers in English.

English is hard as you can show them where they went wrong on a paper but it won't really apply to the next paper they do, whereas with maths there is a right and wrong answer and the same things come up! We are still ploughing through, I have set her something every day but it's hard when the weather is nice and she wants to play out after school, not do papers!
Manana

Post by Manana »

mumof2girls wrote:English is hard as you can show them where they went wrong on a paper but it won't really apply to the next paper they do, whereas with maths there is a right and wrong answer and the same things come up!
I agree with this!

DD also seems to be erratic with the Creative writing. If it's something she deems 'easy', her writing will be good, if not-it won't be. Grrrrr!
mumof2girls

Post by mumof2girls »

Also, how on earth do they mark creative writing - it's so subjective, DD2 has a very vivid (some would say offbeat!) imagination, one examiner might like that, another not so much! I know they can mark grammar, spelling etc but difficult to mark content subjectively.
Manana

Post by Manana »

mumof2girls wrote:Also, how on earth do they mark creative writing - it's so subjective, DD2 has a very vivid (some would say offbeat!) imagination, one examiner might like that, another not so much! I know they can mark grammar, spelling etc but difficult to mark content subjectively.
I would imagine-with my teacher head on-they will use some sort of scheme similar to those specified in the SATs to level pieces of writing, eg you can allocate eg 5 marks for sentence structure and punctuation, 5 for composition and effect etc with a clear breakdown of what you'd expect to see for 1 mark/2-3 marks, 4-5 marks within each section. I just cannot imagine how they'll get thousands of them marked and moderated within 3 weeks though!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now