CEM Chelmsford 2015 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
deepus

CEM Chelmsford 2015 entry

Post by deepus »

I've read the following details from the CCHS Information Guide.

"Applicants who wish to attend the entrance test for another school being held on the same day as the CCHS Entrance Test will not be permitted to sit the CCHS Entrance Test on an alternative day. This will not be deemed as an exceptional circumstance. The CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring) test can only be taken once. If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools.
[Admissions Policy for September 2015 Entry]"

According to the above, I would like to clarify Is this rule applicable only for the CEM Pattern happening on the same day as of CCHS. Few other counties are doing their entrance tests (CEM) on a different dates. If the child sits for those tests, would you be still considering the marks obtained from those tests whichever comes first. For example, Walsall Girls Grammar school is conducting their 11+ exams(CEM) on 1st July 2014. Has anybody approached chelmsford school regarding the same?

Please advise accordingly.

Thanking you in anticipation.
ToadMum

Re: CEM Chelmsford 2015 entry

Post by ToadMum »

Looking at other posts concerning schools running a CEM 11+ on September 13th, some schools are quite explicit that the ruling concerns other tests taken on that day, from which one would infer that schools / areas where the main sitting is on another date - e.g. Bucks - are completely separate exams. My understanding re the exams on the 13th is that the raw score obtained wherever the paper is taken is then standardised along with the rest of the cohort registering there, and also with the cohort registered at any other of the 13 or however many schools / consortia sitting on the same day that you have registered your DC at, if you see what I mean.

Don't take this amiss, but if you are based in Chelmsford, please don't say that you are considering traipsing halfway across England to enter your DD for exams just for practice?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

deepus wrote:I've read the following details from the CCHS Information Guide.

"Applicants who wish to attend the entrance test for another school being held on the same day as the CCHS Entrance Test will not be permitted to sit the CCHS Entrance Test on an alternative day. This will not be deemed as an exceptional circumstance. The CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring) test can only be taken once. If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools.
[Admissions Policy for September 2015 Entry]"

According to the above, I would like to clarify Is this rule applicable only for the CEM Pattern happening on the same day as of CCHS. Few other counties are doing their entrance tests (CEM) on a different dates. If the child sits for those tests, would you be still considering the marks obtained from those tests whichever comes first. For example, Walsall Girls Grammar school is conducting their 11+ exams(CEM) on 1st July 2014. Has anybody approached chelmsford school regarding the same?

Please advise accordingly.

Thanking you in anticipation.
No, my understanding is that it applies to any CEM test taken this year not just on Sept 13th
deepus

Post by deepus »

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I really wanted her to sit for the walsall for practice. But its to early. So if they are going to consider this score. I dont want to do that. Because she has got another two months to practise for CCHS. Quite Confused.

Thanks.
KB

Post by KB »

My guess is it's exactly that they are trying to prevent ie. they don't want girls practising.
But isn't the best thing to email them to check?
Crusoe

Post by Crusoe »

I've a same understanding as StephiB and that's what I've heard from some of the parents from Bucks and Berks.

If you would like your dd to take a practice exam why not try making her sit for mock exam through some 11+ mock providers?

There is a service in this forum itself. Visit for further info http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... mock-exams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I also agree with KB. they don't want children to be much familiar with what they are going to undertake on the exam day. In fact I believe for that reason only CCHS has not provided us with proper sample papers like CSSE.

The best thing to do is preparing our child for any best/worst possibilities. I'm doing the same with my dd and we're confident to face any type of papers as we don't know which one to expect. Above all in the end it's the child's ability and how the exam day starts for them.

Better check with CCHS.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Hi There, i think this is the most important piece of the CCHS advice: "If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools".

fwiw - I would definitely not sit any other real CEM exam because based on the CCHS guidelines - the results from that will be taken instead of that from the CCHS sitting as its before the 13th Sept exam.

I wrote to CCHS admissions with regards to Redbridge and CCHS as they are both on the same day and got good confirmation on that in terms of only one of the exam results will be taken into consideration and there will be NO discrimination on where the DD sat the exam.

Again - this is just my interpretation of the guidelines. The CCHS admissions email is very responsive and helpful - so you should contact them if still in doubt.

TP
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

TP123 wrote:Hi There, i think this is the most important piece of the CCHS advice: "If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools".

fwiw - I would definitely not sit any other real CEM exam because based on the CCHS guidelines - the results from that will be taken instead of that from the CCHS sitting as its before the 13th Sept exam.

I wrote to CCHS admissions with regards to Redbridge and CCHS as they are both on the same day and got good confirmation on that in terms of only one of the exam results will be taken into consideration and there will be NO discrimination on where the DD sat the exam.

Again - this is just my interpretation of the guidelines. The CCHS admissions email is very responsive and helpful - so you should contact them if still in doubt.

TP
I definitely wouldn't risk taking a cem test elsewhere as a mock just in case if it was my dc. There are plenty of cem-type tests out there if you want to give your dc some exam practice.
It looks like the cem organisation have cottoned on to the fact that parents are travelling all over the country to sample the cem phenomenon.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now