What happens on exam day? And, things you wish you'd known?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mrs Sinatra

What happens on exam day? And, things you wish you'd known?

Post by Mrs Sinatra »

Can anyone run me though what happens on exam day with the CSSE exam?

Do the children use a pencil or pen? I believe it's marked by computer so any techniques, do's/don'ts would be most welcome. DD already has a tendency to go into the answer box with her working out so I have to tell her to avoid this.

Also, reading past threads, someone recommended that the children don't speak to the others during the break in exams. Any thing else you wish you'd known like this?

Much appreciated. :)
Bikkigirl

Re: What happens on exam day? And, things you wish you'd kno

Post by Bikkigirl »

My DS did his exam at southend. They did the exam in a classroom so it wasn't too daunting. He wore his uniform so he was in "school" mode as he has always done exams at school. I did not tell him not to talk to anyone, just not to discuss questions or listen to anyone saying they'd done things differently. He was extremely nervous and was very upset when I left him but once he got the paper in front of him he was fine. I just told him to go to the loo at every opportunity as there is nothing worse than trying to do an exam when you're desperate for the loo! I would recommend trying to keep your distance from anyone with colds/ illnesses in the run up, I didn't and he had a stinking cold on exam day. Experienced mums had the whole family on something like cold defence in the run up, I couldn't believe how much I worried about him being ill. If you want to try something like echinacea try it now as I was too nervous to give him something new near the exam in case it didn't agree with him.
Mrs Sinatra

Post by Mrs Sinatra »

Thanks Bikkigirl.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Two of ours SHSB, the other SHSG. Took them in, said goodbye, went shopping and / or for a swim, came back and collected them. None of ours bothered by the experience - apparently at SHSG in DD's session girls were weeping, wailing and throwing up in droves, but somehow she managed to miss all that. Obviously all those girls had gone home early because I got back a bit late to collect DD and my first thought was that it can't have been too bad - all the girls who were coming out as I went in looked quite happy.

As for the equipment question, you will get instructions before the day, so don't worry. My memory is that they used pencil for the VR answer sheet, but that one is no more, so I would wait and see.

I would never tell my children not to chat with others in the break, but did warn at least DS2 to ignore boasting, also in the exam room itself tune out boys trying to distract others by coughing repeatedly, tapping, etc. Also, contrary to our usual advice to try to help those in genuine distress, to leave someone who does throw up or burst into tears for the invigilators to deal with!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

My DC's sat at CRGS and ColCHSG's but a few years ago. No uniform worn just comfortable clothes. The exam rooms can vary in temperature, especially if the sun is out, so easily removed or added layers is a good idea, DS was in a very warm classroom, whereas DD was in a gym that was quite cool.
I think the old VR paper was the only one that was computer marked, maths and english are I believe marked by teachers at the schools.
DS seems to think he may have done all his papers in pencil but it was a long time ago so is not sure!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

"I would never tell my children not to chat with others in the break, but did warn at least DS2 to ignore boasting, also in the exam room itself tune out boys trying to distract others by coughing repeatedly, tapping, etc. "

I'm not in your area but I would definitely second this. My son, when he took his grammar entrance test, was quite intimidated by some boys, who clearly knew each other, showing off loudly in the break between the tests about how easy the first test was and how marvellous they were etc etc. He also did get rather distracted by coughing etc. I wish I'd prepared him better for these two possibilities, and I knew better by the time my daughter took her tests.

What's gratifying (and sorry if this sounds horrible) is that the boasting children did not get places.