How do you feel about your secondary school alternative?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

How do you feel about your secondary school alternative?

Post by Manana »

Have been looking at our local comp on the secondary school league tables and feeling thoroughly depressed! It's got the lowest % of A-C passes in the whole LEA :shock:

The others are too far away for us to stand any chance of getting into, too difficult to travel to or a faith school. There is an alternative in the next LEA which we'll have to go and pay a visit to. I read on here a lot about people consoling their child who doesn't pass with their 'excellent local comp'-I wish we had one :cry:
doodles

Re: How do you feel about your secondary school alternative?

Post by doodles »

Manana, I know how you feel as we were in the exact same position - super selective or shut my eyes and hope it went away. I don't know what to suggest but didn't want you to feel alone.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I'd have to carry on homeschooling! Here's hoping the our children get in!
Good luck Manana and doodles.
Manana

Post by Manana »

MamaBear wrote:I'd have to carry on homeschooling! Here's hoping the our children get in!
Good luck Manana and doodles.
Ha ha! I'm a qualified teacher and I think I would last about a week home schooling my lot-hats off to you! I'm so sad, I've been on here this afternoon reading the pass marks from the year DS did his 11+ and trying to decide what sort of marks would be enough to get an IC place at one of the Southend schools!! I wonder if say 30/60 for English and 40/60 would give a 303+ score!? Anyone care to share an opinion to stop me going stir crazy!?

Fingers crossed to us all, anyway. 27 days to go...
doodles

Post by doodles »

Luckily, we are now past this stage...
Manana

Post by Manana »

doodles wrote:Luckily, we are now past this stage...
I'm very jealous, I have two more children to go...!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

14 days left for my ds2.

Just remember Manana you did the best you could. Some parents do not even enter their child in because its "too much hassle". All the 11+ prep you have done has not been wasted and your child will most likely be in the top sets.

I have a toddler (and another on the way) who I hope is soaking up everything I'm teaching her brothers. Lets hope the exam doesn't change format by the time she's 11!
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

I have the same problem, both of the secondary schools in our area aren't even worth me considering. I do wonder how the kids who are heads above the rest but don't quite make it into a grammar school will fare in a normal but not very good school. I know anyone can learn anywhere etc but I just worry if they aren't pushed a bit they'll get bored and then they'll start messing around in lessons and get labelled as trouble makers. I can see it all going horribly downhill if he doesn't get into a grammar school :shock:
Manana

Post by Manana »

Nikkibeak wrote:I have the same problem, both of the secondary schools in our area aren't even worth me considering. I do wonder how the kids who are heads above the rest but don't quite make it into a grammar school will fare in a normal but not very good school. I know anyone can learn anywhere etc but I just worry if they aren't pushed a bit they'll get bored and then they'll start messing around in lessons and get labelled as trouble makers. I can see it all going horribly downhill if he doesn't get into a grammar school :shock:
Are you in Essex or Southend, Nikkibeak? What is your plan B-one of those two schools or something else completely?
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Manana wrote:
Nikkibeak wrote:I have the same problem, both of the secondary schools in our area aren't even worth me considering. I do wonder how the kids who are heads above the rest but don't quite make it into a grammar school will fare in a normal but not very good school. I know anyone can learn anywhere etc but I just worry if they aren't pushed a bit they'll get bored and then they'll start messing around in lessons and get labelled as trouble makers. I can see it all going horribly downhill if he doesn't get into a grammar school :shock:
Are you in Essex or Southend, Nikkibeak? What is your plan B-one of those two schools or something else completely?
I'm in Essex. My plan B is only half formed. So far I know one further afield school that isn't a great school but is much better than the local ones but sometimes it gets oversubscribed. I have to find a second school that's acceptable, that definitely doesn't get oversubscribed, that we can travel to, as a back up. Another option will be plan C....move somewhere with better schools! Running out of time for that though. I should have thought of it before :lol: