The very best of luck to everyone and a gentle reminder...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Re: The very best of luck to everyone and a gentle reminder.

Post by Manana »

StephiB wrote:
Manana wrote:
StephiB wrote:My DD1 said that the maths was easy but then she is a maths whiz. She said she had time to check it 20 times!!!

She said the English was harder than last weeks CCHS test but reasonable. She struggles more with English though.

I suppose if both papers are reasonably easy, lots of people will score well, pushing the mark needed up higher??
Yes but what you have to remember is that this forum will only represent such a small percentage of the actual children who took the 11+ yesterday (approx 4000 I believe??) and therefore doesn't necessarily mean lots of children will have found it easy.

As a side note one young lady tried to tell my daughter that she already knew that she had scored well in last weeks CCHS test......
It just seemed odd that people on here, plus all the 'real life' people I've heard from since have said the same. This certainly wasn't the case two years ago when DS sat it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mrs Sinatra wrote:
Oh God it's better not knowing. I can't tell you what my DD said today without giving away content but it was such a huge mistake that it actually made me love her even more and laugh. But. EPIC mistake.
I do hope that she has done all right despite it, but I also hope that it will afford whoever marks the paper as much entertainment as the answer which DD apparently gave to a question about circles on the in-year admission maths paper at SHSG must have done :) .

P.S. She got a place anyway.

Good luck :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

I think the scores are all going to be reasonably close this year. What with only having the 2 papers and the exams being easier than expected. My DS has done loads of practise ones and he said that both the maths and the English were easier than his mock. He's not as good at the comprehension as he is the rest and he still thought it was ok. I think the tests will be higher scoring than usual and it will come down to the 3rd digit after the decimal place in the standardised score. Oh dear i'm really worried now about the silly careless mistakes he makes :roll:
Essex-Mum

Post by Essex-Mum »

All,

Sorry to trouble you but my DD is sitting next year the CSSE exams.
I have been told that the verbal reasoning paper is no more, but is included in the remaining two papers.
I would just like to know if she still needs to learn the 21 different types of Verbal Reasoning please.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Dad999 wrote:
michy1969 wrote:738 girls at WHSG today................Yikes
Do you know how many at SHSG?
About 330 - I was over there today in my 'Parent Association joint rep on School Council' capacity so asked :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Manana

Post by Manana »

ToadMum wrote:
Dad999 wrote:
michy1969 wrote:738 girls at WHSG today................Yikes
Do you know how many at SHSG?
About 330 - I was over there today in my 'Parent Association joint rep on School Council' capacity so asked :).
So, about 1000 for the Southend/Westcliff girls-I suppose about the same for the boys. Then the same for Chelmsford and the same for Colchester-is that about right? With a few more hundred at Tommy Mores/St Bernard's and Shoebury.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

[/quote]

So, about 1000 for the Southend/Westcliff girls-I suppose about the same for the boys. Then the same for Chelmsford and the same for Colchester-is that about right? With a few more hundred at Tommy Mores/St Bernard's and Shoebury.[/quote]

I would like to know how many in catchment girls sat.....
Manana

Post by Manana »

pushymother wrote:
So, about 1000 for the Southend/Westcliff girls-I suppose about the same for the boys. Then the same for Chelmsford and the same for Colchester-is that about right? With a few more hundred at Tommy Mores/St Bernard's and Shoebury.[/quote]

I would like to know how many in catchment girls sat.....[/quote]

Yes, I'd like to know that too!!
kg309

Post by kg309 »

A work colleague said about 150 sat at Bernard's x
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kg309 wrote:A work colleague said about 150 sat at Bernard's x
So only a handful more than one year's-worth of girls to cope with... One hopes in that case that they had a jolly good reason (flooding? electrical failure?) for not getting the candidates back out until gone half-past one, then!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now