Percentages required?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dez

Re: Percentages required?

Post by dez »

I don't think it is very useful to postulate what the pass mark is going to be for the new CSSE exam. It could be 303, 202 etc. The most important thing is your DC's performance relative to all the DCs that have sat for the test. From what I could remember in my DD's year (2013 entry) evevryone with 303 or above got a place for I/C in Southend area. Not so for 2014 entry cohort. So just achieving a passing score might not be enough even for in catchment DCs.

Good luck to all that are waiting for their DC's results. :D
Manana

Post by Manana »

dez wrote:I don't think it is very useful to postulate what the pass mark is going to be for the new CSSE exam.
Probably not, but postulating gives me something to do over the next 10 days.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I think all I/C children did get places in 2014, just not at their 1st choice school. Above 307 was the score required for SHSB, but scores below 307 all got places at WHSB.

All Southend I/C girls got their 1st choice Grammar School.
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

dez wrote:I don't think it is very useful to postulate what the pass mark is going to be for the new CSSE exam. It could be 303, 202 etc. The most important thing is your DC's performance relative to all the DCs that have sat for the test. From what I could remember in my DD's year (2013 entry) evevryone with 303 or above got a place for I/C in Southend area. Not so for 2014 entry cohort. So just achieving a passing score might not be enough even for in catchment DCs.

Good luck to all that are waiting for their DC's results. :D

??? All children i/c were offered a grammar school place for 2014 entry!
Manana

Post by Manana »

dez wrote: From what I could remember in my DD's year (2013 entry) evevryone with 303 or above got a place for I/C in Southend area. Not so for 2014 entry cohort. So just achieving a passing score might not be enough even for in catchment DCs
Are you sure that's true?
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Manana wrote:
dez wrote: From what I could remember in my DD's year (2013 entry) evevryone with 303 or above got a place for I/C in Southend area. Not so for 2014 entry cohort. So just achieving a passing score might not be enough even for in catchment DCs
They may have not got first choice as in SHSB but a 303 gave you a grammar in 2014...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pushymother wrote:
Manana wrote:
They may have not got first choice as in SHSB but a 303 gave you a grammar in 2014...
206 in-catchment boys and 186 in-catchment girls passed for 2014 entry, so if any of them didn't get a selective place of some description, it would have been through choice. And that would probably only have applied with regard to boys not getting SHSB and not wanting any of the other boys' options, since places taken up by I/C applicants at SHSG, WHSG and WHSB were 93, 81 and 82 respectively, well under the I/C ceiling.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
eipi=-1

Post by eipi=-1 »

Wouldn't it be so sensible if the marks on each of the papers were simply totalled up. Two papers. 60 marks each. 120 marks in total. So score them out of 120. Usual rules apply if a tie occurs at the cut-off mark, whereby straight line distance from the candidate's house to the school decides ;-)
The weighting and 303 / 330 / 346 stuff (depending on where you were applying to) was because the 3 papers were weighted differently. But it is nonsense to be honest and wildly over-complicated.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

There will have to be standardisation as different papers are sat on the second date. You cannot have a simple add the scores system as any difference in the difficulty of the two sets of papers would advantage one or other group.
eipi=-1

Post by eipi=-1 »

Thanks for your reply Minesatea. But without trying to sound pedantic, how does one know whether one paper is more or less difficult than another. And who would be standardising it and to what effect? Just because 10 candidates, for instance, sat Paper 2, and they all got 90% whilst 400 sat Paper 1, and averaged 70%, doesn’t mean that Paper 2 was any easier than Paper 1 – it may mean that they were brighter.
And suppose they did adopt a standardisation in this context; to what effect would it be applied? Scale Paper 1 by +10% and Paper 2 by -10% ?!?!
Any more thoughts greatly appreciated……….. :-)