Essex VR format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Approximate scores required

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I wasn't being picky so please don't feel defensive. Your son has done very well.

My point is that there is a difference between TA and SATs results and different secondary schools pay more attention to one than the other - certainly, in our area, the GS pay very little attention to the test results - referring to them as "primary level 6s" - which do not equate to their secondary level 6s - (ironically, some might say as they tend to reject them as they are the result of a test on one day!) and more to the TA. On the base of it a L6 sounds really high but actually, if it is a 6C is is really no different to a 5A, ditto a 4A and a 5C, but you don't get that kind of differentiation in the formal SATs. This kind of information can be very confusing to people on the forum who are new to the whole 11+ system. In some primary schools, teachers will not give a TA of a L6, regardless of how well the child is expected to do/does in the test as they do not feel that they have taught enough of the curriculum to be able to say that the child is consistently a L6.

OP if your child is on target to achieve L5s then they should be on course - there will be children at GS with L6s and there is also likely to be children at GS with some L4s - this is the issue with a one day 11+ test!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I wasn't being picky so please don't feel defensive. Your son has done very well.

My point is that there is a difference between TA and SATs results and different secondary schools pay more attention to one than the other - certainly, in our area, the GS pay very little attention to the test results - referring to them as "primary level 6s" - which do not equate to their secondary level 6s - (ironically, some might say as they tend to reject them as they are the result of a test on one day!) and more to the TA. On the base of it a L6 sounds really high but actually, if it is a 6C is is really no different to a 5A, ditto a 4A and a 5C, but you don't get that kind of differentiation in the formal SATs. This kind of information can be very confusing to people on the forum who are new to the whole 11+ system. In some primary schools, teachers will not give a TA of a L6, regardless of how well the child is expected to do/does in the test as they do not feel that they have taught enough of the curriculum to be able to say that the child is consistently a L6.

OP if your child is on target to achieve L5s then they should be on course - there will be children at GS with L6s and there is also likely to be children at GS with some L4s - this is the issue with a one day 11+ test!
Just to add to this the level 6 writing is based on SPAG results and the Teacher Assessment for writing is based on pieces of writing so there could be a discrepancy between actual result and teacher assessment
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Thanks ladies. My DS has TA scores of 5A for maths but only 5C for writing. I'm not too worried about maths as they let him sit the practice level 6 paper even though he's only year 5 and he sailed through 1 but missed it by a few marks on the second one. I'm sure by then of year 6 he'll be the right sort of level. It's the writing paper I'm fretting over. He just doesn't seem to be any good at answering comprehension questions even though he understands what he's reading. I think I'll be grey come the end of September lol
KB

Post by KB »

If your DS is strongeron logical thinking/analytical approach ( which is likely given maths ability) then it might be worth looking at the comprehension questions from this angle.
Try to look at the comprehension as a puzzle or as decifering facts for example.
In terms of looking at 'model answers' get him to think about aiming for specific marks. This can avoid waffle or missing the point.
Ideally English is about creativity and flair but for the 11+ you can get decent marks by following a structure and that might suit him better.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

KB wrote:If your DS is strongeron logical thinking/analytical approach ( which is likely given maths ability) then it might be worth looking at the comprehension questions from this angle.
Try to look at the comprehension as a puzzle or as decifering facts for example.
In terms of looking at 'model answers' get him to think about aiming for specific marks. This can avoid waffle or missing the point.
Ideally English is about creativity and flair but for the 11+ you can get decent marks by following a structure and that might suit him better.
Thanks I never thought of doing it that way. I'm going to give that a go. When it asks what word means the same x and he doesn't know what x means see if he can deduce what must be right by ruling out what is wrong rather than looking for something he doesn't understand.
moved

Re: Recommended Materials for Essex 11+

Post by moved »

The Essex 11+ has changed. CCHS uses CEM and the other grammars use the CSSE exam with two papers: one maths and non verbal and the other English and verbal.

Neither paper is multiple choice.
moved

Pre 2014 info

Post by moved »

Tidying stickies!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now