Essex VR format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
talea51

Re: Essex DIY Tips. Tricks, Hints, Help & General Panic Thre

Post by talea51 »

Oh my gosh, I am really panicking now. DD has been doing the SD VR papers, untimed and she's leaving questions out, she's only getting 85% which is ridiculous because it's untimed so she should be getting almost 100%.

I really don't know what to do. She's falling down in the vocab questions.

What can I do?

Aaaargh!!!

I want to progress to timed questions but I don't feel that I should because she's doing so badly doing them untimed!

I want to cry.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

talea51 wrote: I want to progress to timed questions but I don't feel that I should because she's doing so badly doing them untimed!
Doing so badly........ I think not! You're stressing unnecessarily!

Continue with the practice papers as she will get faster with practice. Start introducing timed papers. Mark where she gets up to when timed but then let her finish the paper. Try and find out which question type she spends longest at and work from there.

Practice makes perfect. Honest!
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:You're stressing unnecessarily!

Continue with the practice papers as she will get faster with practice. Start introducing timed papers. Mark where she gets up to when timed but then let her finish the paper. Try and find out which question type she spends longest at and work from there.

Practice makes perfect. Honest!
Thanks Pumpkin Pie, I really hope you are right! Especially about the unnecessary stressing!

I will be so glad when this exam is over.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Your DD's scores are good. To increase speed she needs to find some short cuts or a quicker way to work out the questions or practice.
Try sending her if you can to a few mocks. Children lose marks on VR because of not enough time and our Essex VR comes at the end when the children have gone through a lovely English paper and then a Maths. Not all 10 yr olds will have the stamina to continue like this unless they practice.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
bravado

Post by bravado »

I hope everyone's had a chance to do all those little things that they've been meaning to do, over this Whitsun Bank Holiday weekend - whether that's having a rest, cleaning the windows or spending time with the family :D

Whilst DD2 is sitting at the computer, revising for her Yr 7 exams, my thoughts have turned to how we were all feeling exactly two years ago, in the run-up to her 11+.....

It's a very difficult time for both parents and children - for us, we feel time pressing heavily upon us - it's scarily close to D-Day, whilst for the children it seems a million miles away. With the beautiful weather in sight, it's hard for them to become or stay motivated. Panic not and rest assured that you're not on your own and are in fact, in very good company :D This will inevitably pass.

If you haven't already done so, have a think about setting your child a timed practice paper - it will give you both an idea of where you are and what your goals and targets need to be. Don't panic if it throws up some gaps in knowledge or that they have timing issues - that's a good thing! :D It will allow you to move forward in a more positive way - to hone your practice and fine-tune the exam technique :D Have a discussion with your child about how they feel the exam went and what they're both pleased and unhappy about, in terms of their performance. Always try to maintain a dialogue - they won't always be able to get what they want but compromise can be the key to minimising the negative effect those sulks and non-cooperative "moments" can have on your relationship on this journey :wink: Ask them what they'd like to practice and strengthen, and perhaps you can set up a timetable together.
Manana

Re: Approximate scores required

Post by Manana »

I wonder what the approximate scores/percentage required will be with the new CSSE tests. Both papers are now out of 60 and I presume have equal weighting. Will it still be out of 303? Will, say 40/60 in each paper give you about 303??
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

What sort of levels did the children who obtained a place at KEGS or CRGS get for their SATs this year? Now they've changed the CSSE exams it's hard to compare scores to gauge how well DS is doing so I thought maybe a check that he's reaching similar SATs levels might help. Yep you guessed it with about 10 weeks to go I've entered full blown panic mode!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Nikkibeak wrote:What sort of levels did the children who obtained a place at KEGS or CRGS get for their SATs this year? Now they've changed the CSSE exams it's hard to compare scores to gauge how well DS is doing so I thought maybe a check that he's reaching similar SATs levels might help. Yep you guessed it with about 10 weeks to go I've entered full blown panic mode!

My son didn't get a place at KEGS or CRGS but has recently obtained a place at Southend Boys.
In his SATs he got Maths Level 6, Writing Level 6 and Reading Level 5A
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

StephiB I am assuming what you are quoting there are Teacher Assessment levels as you do not get sub levels in the formal SATs results.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:StephiB I am assuming what you are quoting there are Teacher Assessment levels as you do not get sub levels in the formal SATs results.
Maths Level 6
Writing Level 6
Reading Level 5 are his 'formal' SATs results

No need to be picky Kenyancowgirl!