making application & preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Danniburke

making application & preferences

Post by Danniburke »

Just wondered if anyone could help at all? my mind is going crazy with all the results and waiting, and I now have to apply to my LA so trying to get my head round it all.

Been advised by pretty much everyone that you should put the schools in order of preference, but for example if we put CHSG first even though she has more of a realistic chance of getting in to WHSG will this affect our chances with Westcliff?

Will places be offered first to people who put it as their first preference? I know it goes by scores, but not quite understanding how it works with preferences. I understand if you don't qualify for your 1st preference then your 2nd automatically becomes your first and so on, but cant quite get my head around the fact that if more OOC people put it as first wouldn't they get offered before us even if their scores are lower as we didn't put it 1st?

Apologies now if this is garbled & not making much sense....
ToadMum

Re: making application & preferences

Post by ToadMum »

Danniburke wrote:Just wondered if anyone could help at all? my mind is going crazy with all the results and waiting, and I now have to apply to my LA so trying to get my head round it all.

Been advised by pretty much everyone that you should put the schools in order of preference, but for example if we put CHSG first even though she has more of a realistic chance of getting in to WHSG will this affect our chances with Westcliff?

Will places be offered first to people who put it as their first preference? I know it goes by scores, but not quite understanding how it works with preferences. I understand if you don't qualify for your 1st preference then your 2nd automatically becomes your first and so on, but cant quite get my head around the fact that if more OOC people put it as first wouldn't they get offered before us even if their scores are lower as we didn't put it 1st?

Apologies now if this is garbled & not making much sense....
1. List your desired schools in your true order of preference.

2. The schools do not know where you ranked them on your CAF, only you and your LEA know this. Each school just knows that you want a place there; they assess your application according to their admissions criteria and it is fed back to your LA whether or not you can be offered a place. If the main criterion is score, this is the order in which the school will rank applicants. So if your score is 200 it will rank above another applicant who scored 190, wherever the pair of you ranked the school on your CAFs.

3. Your home LA looks at which schools have said that they can offer you a place - and the one which you ranked highest on your CAF is the place that you are allocated.

4. Good Luck :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Danniburke

Post by Danniburke »

thank you so much, that makes so much more sense to me now.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Danniburke wrote:thank you so much, that makes so much more sense to me now.
8)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nssdesikan

Post by nssdesikan »

ToadMum wrote:
Danniburke wrote:thank you so much, that makes so much more sense to me now.
8)
You may or may not know the answer, however how many times a LA and the school go back and forth for the places (I am referring particulary the schools which dont have catchment criteria), in the sense
a) LA sends list of candidates to different schools
b) Assume, a DC gets selected in all the three schools that they listed in their CAF

1. Will the LA inform the school (listed lower in the CAF of this particular DC) that this DC will not be offered that school as the DC has secured his top preferred school?
2. Since one DC is out, will the school move on to the next DC in their rank list and inform the newly offered DC's LA?

How many times will it go on like this. I am confused. :x :x :x :x :x :x
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

More or less, except that the "reassignment" is done by computer, so it is pretty instantaneous.

From the secondary school's perspective, they simply get a list of all of the children who have applied (they won't know where they have been put on the CAF so they will be 1st choice for some, and not others). They then look at their admissions policy and put the children who have applied (which could be 2,000 or more) is a ranked order according to their policy, which could prioritise medical needs, statements, distance from home etc.

They then give that ranked list back to the authority. The schools themselves do not make any offers at this time. They simply rank the children.

The authority who have the CAF preferences then use a computer to calculate which school each candidate is eligible for, where they are eligible for more than one school they can only have one offer from their highest-preferred school, so their other applications are then ignored. Once the computer has run its program, they they send a list of children who will be made offers to each school prior to National Offer Day.

At this point schools can work out that some candidates who applied did not put them as first choice (because if they had, then they would have got a place). But the schools themselves don't go through the palaver of who should get a place and when they get somewhere higher who is next. They just fill in one list and hand it over (well slightly simplified - the process around statements is slightly different where I am, and usually parents of children with statements naming a school will find out their school offer earlier)
Stressed.mum

Post by Stressed.mum »

Hi

Do we need to write down the 11 plus scores on the CAF?
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Stressed.mum wrote:Hi

Do we need to write down the 11 plus scores on the CAF?
No.x
anto999

Post by anto999 »

I have few scenarios that i am not clear with. Can someone clarify.

1. On my CAF list, if I have listed School A, B and C in this order. I am interested in getting my DC's admission to School A. But if the chil's name doesn't come in the first list, I will be offered School B and so forth. Can I hold on to accepting offer from School B and others since I want to wait for School A's second round ( or 1st waiting list ).

2. Similar scenario as above. If i accept offer from School B but then later understand that my DC will be able to secure a place in School A as per the first waiting list, Can I hold on (or refuse) to School B and accept School A when the waiting list moves to my child's score.

3. In March 2015, School A offers a place, but my situations have changed so I decide to go for School B. Can I say not school A in march 2015 and request for School B.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

Hi anto999.

In scenario 1, you will automatically be placed on all the waiting lists for schools which are higher on your preference list than the one you are offered. You should accept the offered school and then wait to see if a place comes up on the waiting list, at which stage the LA will ask you to reject your original place and accept the new one.

In scenario 2, you would have to reject the lower preference place as soon as you accept the higher preference place, but only once you get the new offer in writing. Don't reject an offered place in the hope you will get something better, you may find that your child ends up without any place at all.

In scenario 3, I think you would need to accept the place at school A and ask to go on the waiting list for school B, then keep your fingers crossed that a place come up.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now