SHSG travel

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eastwest

SHSG travel

Post by Eastwest »

My first post. Been viewing all the helpful comments over the last few months. My DD is OOC and has a borderline score for Shsg. We've visited the school 3 times and have been really impressed and would be thrilled if she's offered a place. We will put the school top of our list with luckily good quality local Brentwood/Shenfield schools places in our remaining places. In the happy event she's offered a place next March what advice would you all give about travel from Brentwood/Shenfield?

Thanks to parents who've posted travel from Southend Vic Stn and then buses and on foot. Any other thoughts? We are considering driving our DD if others want to share costs (obviously depending on a place being offered first). We are also considering moving after DD sibling has finished primary school. Many thanks.
Moatmum

Re: SHSG travel

Post by Moatmum »

Hi there, I was always concerned about train travel for my DD, I was reassured by many that it is a safe journey and there are so many girls and boys that travel on both the Southend Victoria Line and the Shoeburyness line. I didn't realise the extent of sheer numbers that use these routes until I actually caught the train one day travelling up to the city at school 'hometime,' If i were you i would either do the journey yourself or go to Shenfield station about 430/445 and you will see the number of girls and boys that use this line, it may just put your mind at rest.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Public transport gives flexibility for both of you - do you seriously want to spend half your day driving back and forth between Brentwood and Southend? Unless you work here, of course? Having a season ticket means that your DD can travel at any time, over any part of the route, making it so much easier to meet up with friends at the weekend / in the holidays without having to rely on a parent taxi service. Or even hang out / do homework upstairs in Utopia after school as an alternative to the library - much better cakes, even if there are cupcakes at SHSG today for the school's 101st birthday :lol: .

Two of ours travel on c2c, albeit only 3 stops to Southend East; DD knows girls coming from at least as far up the line as Barking and she has a friend using the other route who lives in Shenfield who was quite happy to just hop on the train one Sunday recently to join DD's birthday lunch party at a restaurant in Southend.

And yes, you will be bowled over by the number of pupils using the various routes :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Eastwest

Post by Eastwest »

Hi thanks for this advice - it's really helpful/reassuring
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now