One month to go......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: One month to go......

Post by ToadMum »

meerme wrote:
Mum1981 wrote:... but I am rather envious of those who either have siblings at their non selective school or a 'safe' 11+ score right now!
Our first preference is home education; to us that's far superior to any grammar school (and DD has siblings in HE including one just 18 months older than her doing a few GCSEs this year). But she's determined to try grammar school for a bit! So our entire family life is now going to be ruled by school timings, school days and school terms. That's a big change for us. No more impromptu trips into London, no more enjoying Adventure Island and the like without the crowds, no more deciding when in the week we're having our weekend, no more going on holiday during the cheap rates .... :(

And she's going to have to learn subjects the school decides for her (mostly), and follow that ridiculous and highly limited National Curriculum, and do exams when the school tells her to do exams...

A "safe" score is not always a good thing I suppose. We have mild regrets now that we let DD take the 11+. :( I wish I could give you her place.
You could,of course, turn down the place offered on March 2nd and make a girl on the waiting list happy? If not but you are sure that your DD will tire of the school experience and ask to return to home-ed, please at least try to take her out whilst the place will go to the next girl waiting, rather than once the school and girls will have to if through all the hassle of re-testing?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
annam2013

Post by annam2013 »

Hi all,

Please those who are already experienced, can you say exactly when we can view the allocation online?

Many Thanks
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

annam2013 wrote:Hi all,

Please those who are already experienced, can you say exactly when we can view the allocation online?

Many Thanks
Last year it came online at midnight on allocation day, so midnight Sunday night going into March 2nd this year.
education

Post by education »

For those residing in Havering.......

When you will find out the results of your application
For children starting secondary school in September 2015 the national offer day is Monday 2 March 2015

Please note: We will use the email address you supply with your application to advise you the outcome of your application. Emails will be sent during the evening of national offer day (2 March 2015).

(Havering website)
meerme

Post by meerme »

ToadMum wrote:You could,of course, turn down the place offered on March 2nd and make a girl on the waiting list happy?
DD can't take the place if we refuse to buy the uniform or drive her to school and back. That seems a bit mean given the self motivation and effort that went into preparing for the 11+ with neither a tutor nor much assistance from us. She wants to try it so we're going to let her. We believe attending school will damage her education, but she'll gain in other ways. The experience itself should serve as a kind of education... till she leaves.

As parents we're taking small comfort in the fact that at last we'll be getting something back from the government for all the taxes we've paid and the tens of thousands we've saved them on school fees so far.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Westcliff High School for Girls is on two bus routes stopping directly outside and several more involving only a few minutes' walk, so no need at all to drive your DD and add to CO2 emissions :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
meerme

Post by meerme »

Thanks, yes, I realise that. Some of my earliest posts on this board were enquiring about bus routes so that is the plan beyond the first week or two ;)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now