Travelling from Braintree to KEGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pickled

Travelling from Braintree to KEGS

Post by pickled »

Apologies if this topic is posted elsewhere - I had a look but couldn't find anything. DS has been offered place at KEGS and will probably be taking the bus from London Road, Braintree (I will have to drive him to the bus stop from our village and this seems the easiest place to get to). Anyone else doing this / already doing this? Which bus is the best to get - 7.36 or 7.51 AM? I'm finding the info from CSSE and the school a bit confusing - Braintree isn't even mentioned anywhere in the transport section, nor is the number 70 bus route. We are trying to decide whether to drive DS to school and put his sister on the bus (opposite directions, 2 kids, 1 mum, I can't do both!) or vice versa. Any help much appreciated! And I thought the wait to see if he had a place was nerve wracking...
ToadMum

Re: Travelling from Braintree to KEGS

Post by ToadMum »

Is the 70 a public service (?First Bus). The Consortium routes are usually 3-digit codes, I think.

KEGS is very close to the station in Chelmsford - is there any way he can get to Braintree railway station?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

The 70 is a public bus not a consortium bus.
I guess train from Braintree would involve changing at Witham, but I don't think there are any trains that don't then stop at Chelmsford so as long as he knows which platform he would be OK.
Depending which way you are taking DD, could you drop him at a mainline station?
pickled

Post by pickled »

We've looked at the trains, but decided it is more difficult to get him to Braintree town station or Freeport than through to London Road at Gt Notley for the bus especially as I have to get my daughter to school as well :) I spoke to a year 11 at an Open Day who got the bus from Notley and he did say that there weren't that many going to KEGS from this area on the bus, so was hoping someone else was starting this year from our neck of the woods!
kegsoffer1

Post by kegsoffer1 »

My DS will be starting at Kegs this year. He will be travelling on the First 70 bus from Braintree bus park 7.23 am, so 7.31 London Road.The school starts at 8.45 so later bus may be cutting it too fine.I believe the walks a few mins from bus stop to school. The train station in Chelmsford is about 10 min walk to school
mclm

Post by mclm »

Hi.

The 70 bus is quicker than the train (& more reliable). Quite a lot of children go to KEGS/CCHS from London Rd so he'll have plenty of company. 7.31 is the better one to get timing wise, but can be crowded so earlier may be a better choice.

Hope that helps.
pickled

Post by pickled »

thank you :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now