Essex Boys!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

DW wrote:I thought that in Essex the results are not weighted according to birth date?
They aren't.
jazzteddy

essex scores

Post by jazzteddy »

We were told by friends that age was a factor, so assumed it was. Just checked it out and oops, we were mistaken. Turns out, standardised scores are based on the workings of a mathematical genius, etc etc, clear as mud really. Thought we were being helpful, so sorry guys,..... never believe all you hear. A member of staff at the consortium office did tell us that an average score of 80% over the three papers would usually be a good guide though. Which is much easier to work out.
Good luck.

Re: essex scores

Post by Guest »

jazzteddy wrote:We were told by friends that age was a factor, so assumed it was. Just checked it out and oops, we were mistaken. Turns out, standardised scores are based on the workings of a mathematical genius, etc etc, clear as mud really. Thought we were being helpful, so sorry guys,..... never believe all you hear. A member of staff at the consortium office did tell us that an average score of 80% over the three papers would usually be a good guide though. Which is much easier to work out.
Good luck.

CSSE always say over 80% in each paper just to cover themselves. I don't think you need that in all three (in fact you don't)! You do need it at last in the VR though.

Post by Guest »

There's always a drop in performance on the actual test (some say around 10%), due to nerves, pressure, etc. so it doesn't do any harm to aim for 80-85% in each paper during practise. Then you should have all angles covered, but without too much worry if there is a weakness with one of the papers.

Not long now boys! Best of luck to all.
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Post by GillyGillyOxenPepper »

Has anyone got any advice for the last few days before the exam? Is it better to leave off or keep going - or something between the two? I feel its important to do some bits and pieces but I don't want to do anything to undermine his confidence at this stage. Any thoughts?
Karen

Post by Karen »

GillyGillyOxenPepper wrote:Has anyone got any advice for the last few days before the exam? Is it better to leave off or keep going - or something between the two? I feel its important to do some bits and pieces but I don't want to do anything to undermine his confidence at this stage. Any thoughts?
Short, 10 minute exercises until Thursday. Let him choose which ones he wants to do, so he feels in control.

Then just relax(!). Good luck for Saturday. :D
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

I have made the decision to do bite-sized revision topics this week. I intend to run through a few of the more common mistakes she makes, working with her for about 20 minutes per day.

I don't want to do any more "testing" because if she has a blip and scores low it could affect her confidence on the day.

I am most worried about her catching the nasty virus that is rampaging through her school as we speak!

Good luck to all those children taking the test on Saturday!
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

Silver29 wrote:I have made the decision to do bite-sized revision topics this week. I intend to run through a few of the more common mistakes she makes, working with her for about 20 minutes per day.

I don't want to do any more "testing" because if she has a blip and scores low it could affect her confidence on the day.

I am most worried about her catching the nasty virus that is rampaging through her school as we speak!

Good luck to all those children taking the test on Saturday!
I am doing the same with my son just going over the common mistakes. If he doesn't know the rest by now, he's not going to take it in this week and will just feel more stressed than necessary.

Hopefully we are over the bugs going round as I had to collect him Wednesday lunchtime and he was off Thursday.

Good Luck to all the kids on Saturday and here's to us parents being able to relax soon :lol:
DW

Post by DW »

My daughter was off school last Friday with the bug that's going round. I just kept thinking " thank heaven it's not next week!".
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Post by GillyGillyOxenPepper »

Thanks for all the helpful, and prompt, replies.

Like you all I am hoping for no cold symptoms for later in the week! Lots of orange juice and as early nights as possible I think.

Letting him decide seems a really good idea - empowering. Might just run through proportion though - he nearly always gets these wrong. Other than that I think 10-15 minute a night + some reading is probably enough.

Thanks again and goodluck to everyone for Saturday.