CRGS Induction

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nikkibeak

CRGS Induction

Post by Nikkibeak »

This is for the people who already have a DS at CRGS, I've seen that the girls schools seem to have induction days and sports days before they start in September. Does CRGS have anything to get the boys meeting up before they start? Also how long does it take to get the initial information pack? How much will the uniform and equipment cost?
shakingmum

Re: CRGS Induction

Post by shakingmum »

My DS started two years ago and they had an induction day in the summer term with some fun lessons/activities in the morning and swimming in the afternoon.
As for uniform, Coes in Ipswich is their supplier. When I bought, I spent about £170 on blazer, tie, rugby shirt, PE polo shirt, two pairs shorts, training top. On top of that black trousers, white shirts, shoes, rugby and PE socks, training shoes and football boots, swimming trunks, shin pads and mouthguard from other suppliers. Sports Direct were a godsend! They send you an order form for a professionally fitted mouthguard that the boys can have fitted on induction day, we invested in that and wished we hadnt as by the time my son started school his mouth had changed and he found it uncomfortable. We got our money back and bought a cheap one from Sports Direct that you fit yourself at home. His friends found the professional ones fine though, so luck of the draw I suppose.
KB

Post by KB »

There will be an induction day for the boys near the end of the summer term.
Don't worry about the initial info pack - it will get to you in plenty of time.
There will also be a meeting for parents before the end of the school year.
There is also a social evening for parents and year 7s in September.
The first week of school the boys get well looked after to make sure they are settled in.
There are some items of uniform that are school specific but many can be bought from supermarkets.
The PTA also run a good second hand shop which will be open at the new parents evening and St other times ( in your induction pack and on school web site).
Some items eg track suit and jumper you can hold off buying until you are sure he wants them.
You will also get info on the mouthguarf service available on the induction day. You can just get a boil diy one but people have mixed results. As long as he isn't in the middle of orthodontic treatment the made to measure are worth considering.

Its worth thinking about whether he will want individual music lessons in school but apart from that there aren't many decisions to be made so sit back and enjoy the moment :)
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Thanks :D What does he need the mouthguard for, rugby? I think it may be too soon for the fitted one because strangely he only has 8 adult teeth so far. He still has lots of milk teeth. It will change his mouth shape quite drastically once he gets the rest of his adult teeth. I'm beginning to think he'll have to wait until he's an adult for a brace at this rate :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

Also worth keeping a look out on web site for open events at school and by CRGSA that you can take DS to so he starts to feel familiar with the school. I know on 14th March there is a special concert by a west end actress for example. And there will be the summer concert if you can get tickets - Mr Jenkinson is retiring this summer so am guessing it will be popular event.

Second hand uniform shop opening should be on the CRGSA section of web site as well.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Thanks KB I'll go and check out their site and see what's on
KB

Post by KB »

Yes they have to have a mouth guard when playing rugby. If he's the likely to loose things brigade its worth having a boilable spare at home so when he realises he's lost his you can put the kettle on....

If you trawl back through old threads there has been lots of advice about CRGS in the past. There will be a new Head in September though so some things might change.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Ah Coes an amazing shop, but one slightly in the past so be aware that it usually doesn't open on Sundays or Mondays. The service is however great although I generally expect to see Mrs Slocome approaching with a tape measure! It has however finally discovered the internet so if you check out its website the uniform prices are there. You might want to pour a stiff drink first though!
KB

Post by KB »

But its certainly worth checking the uniform shop at school. With boys of that age frequently having growth spurts you can get some decent stuff. Added to which a major advantage of an all boys school is that they tend not to notice nor care if someone doesn't have brand new gear. Many have hand me downs from brothers, cousins etc anyway.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Thanks everyone. yes I will definitely check out the school shop 1st. I can see that I would buy a blazer and he would have a growth spurt and outgrow it in a few months :roll: I think I will need at least 5 spare mouth guards as he's more of the it's a shock if comes back with anything he left home with brigade :evil: That's going to have to improve or he'll constantly be in trouble.

I noticed the parent pay on there. Are you able to pay for school meals through that or only for school trips and other extra items?