September 2015 exam support

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kace

September 2015 exam support

Post by Kace »

Just wanted to check in with anyone else preparing for this year's CSSE exams...The four-months-to-go point is behind us, but I still feel as if we aren't really doing enough. Dd1 is fairly relaxed about it all and not really revising as much as I feel she should, so I am pretending to take my cues from her, but putting on a laid-back front is actually quite stressful! I have honestly forgotten how things were with ds at this point two years ago.
How is everyone else feeling?
Last edited by Kace on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stressed.mum

Re: Septmber 2015 exam support

Post by Stressed.mum »

Hi,

It was this time last year we we were preparing for the exam, I can still feel the stress today. It hasn't stopped even after the exam as i was nervous for the results, then for allocation day....and now waiting for her first induction day at the new school...the stress goes on.... :)

I am a very stressed out mum :lol:

Keep preparing well and
Good luck for September Exams!
fausto

Post by fausto »

Hi Kace

We're in the same boat, DS2 will sit this September.

There are days I feel we're on it and others when it all comes crashing down. DS1 sat 2 years ago and succeded and I did keep a loose diary on his scores and areas needing work etc. I do look at this to compare but then wonder why - its a different exam and my boys have opposite strengths.. arggh.

He sat a KS2 level 6 SATS maths paper the other day and did fairly well. I am using a lot of the 10 minute test books which really seems to work for him. Motivation was a problem so we have a schedule he has to stick to, we redo it every 3 weeks and he then gets to pick the car photos that embelish it ! He has a contract with us which is pure bribery.

I am glad this is the last time as the grey hairs are coming faster now than before.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We are unfortunately not managing much at all. Owing to a temp change in job, I have much less time. I think DS did about 20 mins of maths in total last week, and no English at all. Fortunately for us we are looking at some other options so grammar may not be first choice.
Kace

Re: September 2015 exam support

Post by Kace »

Hi Ladies -
So, there are three of us DIY-ing for September...
Dd1 wants to go to grammar school and she is perfectly capable of doing so, but it will all come down to her performance on September 19. And that's the worrying part!

Are you doing much NVR? I know there will only be a few questions on the maths paper, but I'm not sure how much time/effort to be putting into it didn't do any NVR with ds). Dd1 loves doing VR, so is quite happy to practise that for the few questions that may come up on the English paper.

At least I will have a few years off before dd2 takers her 11+...
fausto

Post by fausto »

Hi Kace

We are doing some NVR as I just know there will be a nets question that would throw him. I just get him to do the 10 minute tests to try and keep it fresh in his mind.

He had a nightmare about the 11+ last night.. what does that tell me ?
Kace

Post by Kace »

I hate nets. I don't understand them and can't explain them! Dd1 seens to be better at them than I am, but when she gets them wrong, I can't explain them to her... :(
fausto

Post by fausto »

... and that Kace is quite simply the reason I have a husband ! :D
Kace

Post by Kace »

Do you hire him out?! :wink:
I have one, too, but he didn't get involved with 11+ revision last time round and hasn't this time round either...
Moatmum

Post by Moatmum »

Hi there everyone we are working towards the CEM 2016 entry and wondered if anyone with experience could advise where in CCHS the girls sit the test ? in the main hall or in classrooms in smaller groups ? Additionally, I seem to remember that there are usually two time slots ?

Any information will be gratefully received. :D