SHSB or WHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: SHSB or WHSB

Post by ToadMum »

FlightyRachel wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Actually, there are only certain local primaries which are like to provide boys in larger groups with 'cliquey moms (or dads)' - quite a lot of local boys will also be on their own or part of a small group.
Yes, I'm from Southend originally so I'm very familiar with those primaries. :) They send a large cohort each and out of 150 boys they make up a hefty %. It's no one's fault and it's great for them, but it does have an effect on friendships. In my experience, it can be hard to persuade even solitary local boys to venture out into the wilds of Burnham, especially if their mum doesn't know you! I wish I'd made more effort to get to know some other mums when my eldest was year 7, that's why I mention it. This time I'm trying to be a bit more organised. I apologise if I sounded snarky, I didn't mean to.
No offence taken here :) . And if it's any comfort, we live in Leigh and DD (year 9 going on 10 at SHSG) and a bunch of friends all met up at Wickford station one day last week and trundled over to Burnham to another friend's place to celebrate said friend's birthday. She has also been on a sleepover in Shenfield - and shocking mother that I am, to the best of my knowledge the nearest I may have been to meeting either set of parents is at Parents' Evening or dropping offspring at school at 3am for a foreign trip.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Sorry I haven't replied before - been away. By now you will have made your decision, and I'm sure your son will be happy whatever you've decided. Just to say that i have two ooc DS at WHSB and the second one knew nobody when he started - it's really not been a problem.
They are both great schools and your son will get an excellent education at either. I'm not aware of the standards deteriorating since the change of Head at WHSB - we are more than happy with the school. Maybe I should wait and comment after DS1 gets his GCSE results on Thursday...?! He is desperate to stay into the sixth form, so fingers crossed!
dpstar

Post by dpstar »

Thanks for your message mum of boys, you're speaking to another mum of boys (4 to be precise) :shock:
We eventually chose Westcliff after a lot of deliberations. What swayed it for us was the fact that his brother went there, is easier to get to, it is slightly closer a and there are a couple of boys going from our end. Thank you all for all your comments. Wishing you and your families the very best.
abraham

Post by abraham »

dpstar wrote:Thanks for your message mum of boys, you're speaking to another mum of boys (4 to be precise) :shock:
We eventually chose Westcliff after a lot of deliberations. What swayed it for us was the fact that his brother went there, is easier to get to, it is slightly closer a and there are a couple of boys going from our end. Thank you all for all your comments. Wishing you and your families the very best.
Welcome (back) to Westcliff! Hope your DS had a fantastic first day today! DS1 started at Westcliff last Sept, and has settled in really well. Despite knowing three boys in his tutor group already, he made friends with a completely new boy on the induction day - and they have been firm friends ever since (so much so that many of the other boys assume they must have been friends since foundation stage!) He has also made friends in other year groups through War Hammer, Tolkien society etc. - which I hope will help in the 'big' playground this year. I must admit I totally obsessed over results etc. when we were choosing a school (and it didn't help that so many other parents at the time seemed to prefer SHSB over WHSB - what did they know that we didn't know I wondered?!?) But, in the end, he had his pick of the Essex schools - and he chose Westcliff. And, in the end, I felt he had earned the right to do so.