Decision time !!!! / Stress !!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ESSC

Decision time !!!! / Stress !!!

Post by ESSC »

On the 2nd March the news for our family was not good and Kegs Southend and Westcliff were all Schools we were not given places for....was very hard to take as on the day of the exam he came out full of confidence and felt it was the best he had ever done and was very positive........We did though hold out hope that maybe a place would come up on the reserve list, but got another shock this week when the results came through...Eng 26/50 Maths 24/40 VR 61/90.....Not disastrous, but when getting constant 80 - 90 % in practice papers did come as a shock.....
The main thing is he tried his best and on the day it just did not happen and trying your best is all you can ask for our of your Children.....

He did though pass the Brentwood exam and we now have to make the tough decision to whether to try and afford the fees or send him to local comp School.........

Any advice from people on the site would be appreciated...

Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Hi scores in the English and Maths were actually quite good I think for this year. It is the VR that let him down I think as it is weighted so heavily (50%) for that.
feeling better

Post by feeling better »

Hello, my daughter also did not get into our local grammar,and her scores were 69/90 for VR and 44/75 for NVR. Out of 862 girls, her position was 304. She worked really hard and showed real dedication, and for that reason, I was dissappointed. After spending a few days, in limbo, over the options ( I did consider private!), I am now hoping she will get accepted at her 2nd choice- state school which is really very good (2005 GCSE results 79% A-C pass rate!).
My advice to you would be to only consider private if your local schools are really dire. You are making a committment of at least the next 5 years, financially and this is quite a huge responsibility to take. Also be aware of ' hidden extras' that you would have to pay for in the shape of school trips, music/sports tuition etc. Good luck to you and your son in whatever decision you make.