Starting to study for 2016 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mumof3girls4

Starting to study for 2016 11+

Post by Mumof3girls4 »

Hi everyone,

I've been reading though all the posts, so much help here! Thanks to everyone who has posted.

We've just started doing some extra work, my DD is just going into year 5, so will be starting 'big school' in 2017. Which doesn't seam very long away after researching all the dates for submissions etc!!

Anyone else getting ready for this journey?
Ashtara

Re: Starting to study for 2016 11+

Post by Ashtara »

Yep my son just started yr5.

Tells me he wants to do 11plus but shows no interest in doing any extra work. He is perfectly capable of he put in the effort.

Have tried 10 minute tests and some reading comprehension but to no avail - aargh
ocobrown

Post by ocobrown »

Although not everyone's cup of tea, this is where we found tutoring so helpful. We are perfectly capable of teaching our DCs the maths, English (and for DS, verbal reasoning), and there is a lot of material out there to work with. But planning what to do each day/week and getting down to doing it is another matter. And that's before you try to prise DC away from the TV or whatever they would prefer to be doing.

We used group tuition, this meant that there was some structure to the work over the year and we didn't have to plan it, plus homework was set for the week that, whilst not compulsory, there was obviously an expectation that it would be completed.

Left to our own devices I am sure that we would have got very little work done in year, and we may not have ended up where we are, with both DC in the schools they wanted to go to!

May be worth considering?
Ashtara

Post by Ashtara »

Oh great minds.... Already planned his tutoring and he starts on 3rd October.

Thankfully our local primary offers extra help to those considered capable of passing 11 plus too.

Hopefully with this three pronged attack (us, tutor and school) he has a good chance of getting there.
abraham

Post by abraham »

Tutoring is great if you have the cash - and can find a good tutor (sometimes harder than finding the cash!). We had a brilliant tutor for DS1, but she has subsequently retired - and that, coupled with the fact that we no longer have any cash, means that I am attempting to DIY with DS2. I am already finding it more stressful this time round due to the increased pressure of DIY'ing - and that's before we've even really got started!
kg309

Post by kg309 »

I feel like my 11+ journey never ends... My eldest has just started at Westcliff Boys, my middle daughter has just gone into year 5 and so will be sitting in 2016. My youngest has just gone into year 3 so at least I can take an 11+ breather in 2017!

My eldest was tutored not because of capability but because I wanted him to get used to exam format reading questions properly etc. Unfortunately the primary school the first 2 are at doesn't really focus on 11+ so we did lots of past paper work ourselves at home too. My youngest has just started at a different junior school where they do a lot more 11+ provision.

Good Luck!!!
Kara
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

kg309 wrote:I feel like my 11+ journey never ends... My eldest has just started at Westcliff Boys, my middle daughter has just gone into year 5 and so will be sitting in 2016. My youngest has just gone into year 3 so at least I can take an 11+ breather in 2017!

My eldest was tutored not because of capability but because I wanted him to get used to exam format reading questions properly etc. Unfortunately the primary school the first 2 are at doesn't really focus on 11+ so we did lots of past paper work ourselves at home too. My youngest has just started at a different junior school where they do a lot more 11+ provision.

Good Luck!!!
Kara
I can beat that!! My eldest is year 8 at SHSB, my next is year 7 at CCHS, my next just started in year 5, my next is year 3 and my youngest just started school so our 11+ journey will finish in.....2021/22!!
Kace

Post by Kace »

pinkrabbit38 wrote: I can beat that!! My eldest is year 8 at SHSB, my next is year 7 at CCHS, my next just started in year 5, my next is year 3 and my youngest just started school so our 11+ journey will finish in.....2021/22!!
Only one child left to go, but she is in Year 1, so five years to go until last and final 11+ test! Ds is also in year 8 at SHSB and dd1 is in Yr 6 currently awaiting her results...
kg309

Post by kg309 »

and I thought I had it bad!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now