Do we get a colour as well as a score on tuesday??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
popandcandy

Do we get a colour as well as a score on tuesday??

Post by popandcandy »

Hi, I am new and this is my first post. I am wondering what to expect on results day, on tuesday 13th, when I log on to the results board. Will there be a colour as a guidance on whether my daughter has a good chance of a place, or not? And if it's green does will that mean she has almost certainly got a place? Does anyone know/ have any experience from last year? And does she need a score of 330+ to get a place ... or could that have changed since last year? (I've been reading everyone's posts on here for a while now!)
Thanks for helping :?
Blitz

Re: Do we get a colour as well as a score on tuesday??

Post by Blitz »

You will get your DD scores for each paper (Eng and maths) and an overall standardised score. The CSSE also send a colour coded guidance sheet to help you interpret your DD score.

I believe you are hoping for ColCHS. With their increased PAN, all scores over 322 gained places this year. A score of over 330 will almost certainly be in 'Green', meaning your DD will have an excellent chance of a place at that school.

Good luck on Tuesday.
popandcandy

Post by popandcandy »

Ok thanks so much. Yes, am hoping for ColCHSG. Can't think of anything else at the moment except Tuesday morning! I think it was an easy paper as have gathered that many children that sat it said they found it 'fine' or 'easy'. So, in a way, makes it harder to 'shine' if that makes sense.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Not everyone found it easy, DS failed to finish the English paper. I would be surprised if they made it any easier than last year as they would not want too many children getting close to full marks. From experience of my older two, I would not always believe childrens opinions of how well it went, I have met many children who declared it really easy, and scored really low, and children who said it was hard that passed easily!
At least there's not long now till the results are known, and in our case we can move on.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Just as a warning....two years ago my son was in green zone o/c for SHSB and WHSB when the results came out but didn't get his place at SHSB until the end of June when Southend Boys added the extra class.
popandcandy

Post by popandcandy »

That's amazing to me - surely if you're in the green zone you would think you're definitely getting a place? As opposed to scrapping in??!! Has anyone else had this experience?
My DD not likely to be in green anyway - if she's done really well she's still more likely to be in the yellow I reckon. I think I am just trying to get a feel for how reassuring the colour code will actually be - and judging by your post pinkrabbit, apparently it's not very reassuring afterall! Thanks for the warning!
moved

Post by moved »

Welcome to the forum. The change in catchment meant that scores moved a lot for the Southend schools a couple of years ago. They should have a much better idea now of what to expect. They have done the enlargement, adding extra classes too, so that should also make it easier this year.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Minesatea wrote:Not everyone found it easy, DS failed to finish the English paper. I would be surprised if they made it any easier than last year as they would not want too many children getting close to full marks. From experience of my older two, I would not always believe childrens opinions of how well it went, I have met many children who declared it really easy, and scored really low, and children who said it was hard that passed easily!
At least there's not long now till the results are known, and in our case we can move on.
I think a lot of children base their opinion of the ease of the test on how quickly they finished rather than the actual difficulty. I know so many children who have finished quickly in the past so said it was easy. Whereas, a child who works right to the end or who fails to answer a question or two in the given time often do better.

When a question says tick 2 boxes, anyone can do that quickly. It is often the child who goes back to the text and spends time finding the answer and checking for meaning eg 'orchestrated' meaning coordinated/planned rather than making music, who is more successful.

Please don't panic if your child said it was hard. Likewise, don't buy the blazer if your child said it was easy.

Two more sleeps... at least you don't have to stay up til midnight for the results! Good luck.
Last edited by Blitz on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

popandcandy wrote:That's amazing to me - surely if you're in the green zone you would think you're definitely getting a place? As opposed to scrapping in??!! Has anyone else had this experience?
My DD not likely to be in green anyway - if she's done really well she's still more likely to be in the yellow I reckon. I think I am just trying to get a feel for how reassuring the colour code will actually be - and judging by your post pinkrabbit, apparently it's not very reassuring afterall! Thanks for the warning!
The advice / coding is based on historical data; whether you get into a particular school in the consortium with a given score depends on how many of those with a higher score apply in the current round.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It will be very interesting to hear any scores on Tuesday of students who thought it was easy. It is usually those who find it easy who have not really read the questions properly. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now