SHSB & WHSB - Pressure and homework?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

angelmummy

SHSB & WHSB - Pressure and homework?

Post by angelmummy »

Hi everyone

Well done to all of our fantastic children who worked so hard for their exams, no matter the results.

We are fortunate to be in a position to choose between SHSB and WHSB (I/C). They are a similar distance away (WHSB is a little closer). I would really appreciate any advice / information from parents with children currently in these schools as to:

1) the amount of homework given in Yr 7,
2) the pressure the children are under (especially if they're not in the top 25% or so in the year). Are the children made to feel they're "not good enough"?
3) any positive points about either school as to how your child has settled in.

We'll be attending the information days next week but I keep getting torn between the two, and DS has no particular preference either!!

Many thanks for your help!
Good3boys

Re: SHSB & WHSB - Pressure and homework?

Post by Good3boys »

They are both great schools and both push the children to achieve in a positive manner. Homework at WHSB in yr7 is two/three pieces a day, they are very strict about uniform and rembering books etc. My son said yr8 is less strict, as they all know what to expect. Go to both extra open evenings and see which he prefers. They have different approaches, yet get similar results.

Well done on passing :-)
angelmummy

Post by angelmummy »

Thanks! Is each piece of homework about 30 minutes?
Trying to get my head around why so many local children choose SHSB instead of WHSB?! I'm sure they're both great x
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

Depends sometimes it takes ages, but my son is a perfectionist. Yet, often he does some homework at lunchtime too. WHSB does appears more strict and more tradition. I strongly think your son should see which he prefers, they feel very different.
angelmummy

Post by angelmummy »

Thanks for your replies Good3Boys. We'll make our decision next week!