KEGS or CRGS - Colchester or Chelmsford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

IndyCam

KEGS or CRGS - Colchester or Chelmsford

Post by IndyCam »

Hello everyone,
My son has a score of 364.65, we are in the green zone for CRGS and amber for KEGS out of catchment based on the 2016 guidance sheet.
It is time to fill in the application forms and I am very confused which school to put down as first choice.
We live about an hour away from Colchester and Chelmsford, don't know a lot about these places. We are planning to move to either place, depending on where son gets in . Unfortunately we missed the opportunity to visit the schools on open days, so could not get a feel of the schools.
Difficult question I know, everyone's situation is different.. but which place would you recommend we moved to ?
I work in the IT industry so would have to commute to my current work place (just over an hour from Colchester and 45 - 50 mins from Chelmsford). My company are flexible, so I am hoping they would let me work from home 2 or 3 days a week.... but this can change if I have to change jobs!
We also have a 5 year old in Year 1, so have to consider primary school options too.
House prices will play an important role too ..

Very confused and stressed, please advice !
The 11+ idea was a last minute one, so did not research about these things earlier!
EKK

Re: KEGS or CRGS - Colchester or Chelmsford

Post by EKK »

364.65 is a very good score. Your son certainly has a high enough score to be admitted to CRGS and an outside chance of securing a place for KEGS from outside the catchment.

If you want my honest opinion, I would say definitely go for CRGS. It is one of the very top grammar schools not just in Essex but the whole of UK. They have been ranked first in UK for their A level results on many occasions. CRGS is much more flexible in their approach to education and have excellent pastoral care facilities, hence the unequalled success history.
Teetee

Post by Teetee »

There is still an opportunity to visit these schools next week. The dates are indicated on the guidance sheet that came with the result.

This should be able to help with your decision making.

Wish you and your DS the best.
Stressed.mum

Post by Stressed.mum »

Agree, your DS score is excellent.

If you put 1. KEGS, 2. CRGS. The worst scenario is you get allocated CRGS on allocation day, and on the waiting list for KEGS.

Both are excellent schools, it really depends on whether you want to live in colchester or in Chelmsford. Both town/ city have good primary school for your DC2. Is DC2 girl or boy?

Well done to your DS
IndyCam

Post by IndyCam »

Many thanks for the replies so far.
DC2 is a boy, 5 years old and in Year 1.
DC1's scores are a pleasant surprise, given the fact we only registered to sit the exams 2 weeks before last date and started preparing during the summer holidays. He is bright, but can be very laid back, so I was not expecting much at all .. I am very proud of his scores, he has done very well indeed!

Also DC1 is a very sporty child, do KEGS/CRGS put emphasis on sport and other extra curricular activities too ?
I hope they are not just academic hot houses.

Chelmsford is on the commuter belt to London (I am in the software industry but don't work in London at the moment..may have to in the future if needed to change jobs ) but on the other hand CRGS is one of the top schools in the UK as EKK says!
I suppose I will have to weigh in the pros and cons of both places and make a decision !
IndyCam

Post by IndyCam »

Thanks Teetee.. There is only the enquiry visits next week, not actual open days. I did ask CRGS if they will let us look around the school next week..sadly that is not possible
IndyCam

Post by IndyCam »

The application for KEGS and CRGS should be done through my own local authority's secondary school application form right ? (We don't live in Essex)
Please advice.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

[quote="IndyCam"]The application for KEGS and CRGS should be done through my own local authority's secondary school application form right ? (We don't live in Essex)
Please advice.[/quote]

Yes - you apply for all state school places (apart from a few anomalies such as CTCs and possibly Free Schools in their first year) through your own authority's system. They will then liaise with other authorities as necessary. On national allocation day you will be informed of the outcome of all your expressed preferences by your own authority.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Move to Braintree or Kelvedon area (or surrounding villages) and you'll be midway between the two

<helpful>

Well done to your son though! What a great dilemma to be in!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Agreed, both are very good schools. My random thoughts:
The london commute is certainly much easier from Chelmsford.
The non-grammar secondary school options also seem to be better in Chelmsford which may be a consideration if you have a younger child.
However housing is probably cheaper in Colchester (as further from London), although the only decent comprehensives are in the expensive part of town!
CRGS has a new HT this term so as yet it is unclear what may change in the future.
It is CRGS sixth form open day on Tuesday evening, could you attend that? - pretend you have a 16 year old who has wandered off on his own!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now