2017 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

talea51

Re: 2017 Entry

Post by talea51 »

oh my gosh, I have just realised this is my dd. the exam is in 9 months time. Oops, time to get a move on then!
kg309

Post by kg309 »

My daughter sits this september. DS is in year 7 at WHSB. The difference between the two children is amazing. DS found the english hard but the maths easier. DD it the total opposite. agh. both used the same tutor. I was more confident with DS but it's DD who actually wants to pass whereas he wasn't that worried. Long road ahead then I do it all again for DD2 who is currently in year 3
Sarahleah

Post by Sarahleah »

Hi everyone,

My DS will be taking the CSSE exam in September. I understand that the format of the exam has changed two years ago. I am wondering about the VR element that is included in the English now. When there was a separate VR exam, there were 21 types of questions that could appear in it. What is the situation now? Do we need to familiarise the children with all those types and practise them, or is this not necessary? I cannot see how codes or indeed questions that have more to do with maths than with English qualify as VR. I cannot find any materials that relate to the new format English, or indeed the VR element in it. We have some "old" VR papers but I can't see the point of making my son do these. Or am I wrong? What do you use for preparation?

Thank you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sarahleah wrote:Hi everyone,

My DS will be taking the CSSE exam in September. I understand that the format of the exam has changed two years ago. I am wondering about the VR element that is included in the English now. When there was a separate VR exam, there were 21 types of questions that could appear in it. What is the situation now? Do we need to familiarise the children with all those types and practise them, or is this not necessary? I cannot see how codes or indeed questions that have more to do with maths than with English qualify as VR. I cannot find any materials that relate to the new format English, or indeed the VR element in it. We have some "old" VR papers but I can't see the point of making my son do these. Or am I wrong? What do you use for preparation?

Thank you.
Just look one the CSSE website. There are free sample English and Maths papers to download, complete with marking schemes, plus new-style actual papers to buy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sarahleah

Post by Sarahleah »

ToadMum, thank you for your reply. I have the papers you suggested and the VR tasks in them are quite similar. Does that mean this is the thing to expect or could they suddenly include other types of questions in this year's exam? I don't want my child spending unnecessary time learning codes if codes will never appear in the exam. That's why I wondered what others have done/are doing to prepare for the VR element. It is a shame that they scrapped the VR exam. My son really likes these types of questions. Better than English comprehension anyway :D .
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

Nice to see this thread started. 7 months and counting.....
Time to ramp things up a wee notch.
Comprehension is DS' bugbear.
Taolut

Post by Taolut »

T0tleybrook

Sounds like this is common for boys, my son doesn't really fancy Comprehension as well, he is more than happy with Maths and doing exceedingly well.

I'm currently looking for ways to encourage him to see Comprehension the same way he sees Maths, we still have 7 months to go :/
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Last year's CSSE papers are now on sale from the CSSE website.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

It's never too late to start! We only did casual bits until the summer holidays when the practice papers came out for her.

If they're smart they'll only really need exam practice and gap filling so it shouldn't be too arduous this far away
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

Taolut wrote:T0tleybrook

Sounds like this is common for boys, my son doesn't really fancy Comprehension as well, he is more than happy with Maths and doing exceedingly well.

I'm currently looking for ways to encourage him to see Comprehension the same way he sees Maths, we still have 7 months to go :/
Tell me about it. He's Ok when we sit down and do it verbally, but somehow, writing it all down is impossible. He's great with the Maths, just needs to write his working out and minimise the careless mistakes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now