CSSE Examination Dates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Essex_Dad

CSSE Examination Dates

Post by Essex_Dad »

Hi All,

Quick question, my DS has his exam date for this Saturday, his friend has a date for the 27th Sept (Tuesday)? will they be completing the same papers?

Thanks,
Two-at-once

Re: CSSE Examination Dates

Post by Two-at-once »

I'm fairly sure the alternative date is a different paper. Good luck for Saturday.
littlemissm

Post by littlemissm »

I believe so. One of my DS's friend sat the alternative test day 3 years ago and the comprehension was different.... not sure about the rest as they don't remember much.

Good luck on Saturday !
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

My daughter just came home saying a boy in her class is sitting on 27th and that confused me. Why would he have an alternative date so early?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

seriousmum wrote:My daughter just came home saying a boy in her class is sitting on 27th and that confused me. Why would he have an alternative date so early?
Assuming that he doesn't belong to a religion which says that taking an exam on a Saturday is forbidden, it is probably because they registered relatively late and all the boys' venues were already at capacity. The CSSE did the same thing last year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Unfortunately there are some parents who register late in the hope of getting to do the same paper on a later date that other students have already done, but this strategy backfires at CSSE as they use a different paper.

Last year a reasonably straightforward Cider with Rosie paper was the main paper but the backup was a far harder (in my opinion) Silas Marner paper.

So there is no advantage to sitting later at CSSE.

DG
Essex_Dad

Post by Essex_Dad »

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Best of luck to all for Saturday and 27th.

:D :D :D
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Really helpful. Thanks and good luck to everyone for Saturday.
Essex_Dad

Re: CSSE Exams

Post by Essex_Dad »

Hi All,

Just noticed this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37462647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After my son completed the CSSE exam he told me two/three children had said to him that they had already seen the paper and memorized the answers, I did not think anything of it and told him that the boy's are just boasting, however having now seen this article do we have anything to worry about?
ToadMum

Re: CSSE Exams

Post by ToadMum »

Essex_Dad wrote:Hi All,

Just noticed this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37462647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After my son completed the CSSE exam he told me two/three children had said to him that they had already seen the paper and memorized the answers, I did not think anything of it and told him that the boy's are just boasting, however having now seen this article do we have anything to worry about?
I would be very, very surprised, as the papers are written in-house and as far as I am aware there has never been any hint of impropriety within the schools when it comes to the conduct of the exams. It is possible that the passage came from a book that they had looked at with their tutor, or even, just possibly, read off their own bat?

Personally, I would put it down to boasting on the part of the children concerned. (I hesitate to add, 'bit of a boy thing', but...).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx