Yr 7 Home consultation SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
missymoo1972

Yr 7 Home consultation SHSB

Post by missymoo1972 »

Does anyone with a son at SHSB know what a yr 7 home consultation is please? It's on the school calender for March but I'm intrigued as to what it may be? Thanks x
ToadMum

Re: Yr 7 Home consultation SHSB

Post by ToadMum »

missymoo1972 wrote:Does anyone with a son at SHSB know what a yr 7 home consultation is please? It's on the school calender for March but I'm intrigued as to what it may be? Thanks x
DS2 is in year 8 (so year 7 last year) and DS1 was at the school until a couple of years ago, and I have no idea! I can't imagine that it means that someone comes out to see you at home - they would be hard pushed to get round to all the OOC families in one day, let alone all 180 boys and anyway, why would they? I am also intrigued...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Maybe it is a new name for Parents Evening ?

Used to be called an "at home" when I was at school.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think you might be onto something there Herman - I seem to remember the same (I think). A consultation with "home" just in case the parents aren't the child's carers - inclusivity.

I'm intrigued to know.....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Year 7 parents' evening was last term.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well I'm flummoxed then....
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

It's where the teachers may ring you at home or email you if they have particular concerns. It's usually a set time on a set day so that you know to be in then or if you don't receive a call or email at that time then everything is ok.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pinkrabbit38 wrote:It's where the teachers may ring you at home or email you if they have particular concerns. It's usually a set time on a set day so that you know to be in then or if you don't receive a call or email at that time then everything is ok.
I assume that is something new this year, then? Definitely didn't have that arrangement for either of ours. Do parents set the time, or the school?
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

ToadMum wrote:
pinkrabbit38 wrote:It's where the teachers may ring you at home or email you if they have particular concerns. It's usually a set time on a set day so that you know to be in then or if you don't receive a call or email at that time then everything is ok.
I assume that is something new this year, then? Definitely didn't have that arrangement for either of ours. Do parents set the time, or the school?
It happened last year too Toadmum. The school sent out a letter saying that you may get a call between 4pm and 5pm on a certain date (same date and time for everyone). I remember feeling nervous throughout the whole hour but thankfully we didn't get a call! We did however get an email praising his improvement in languages and pointers for helping him further.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think it is mildly ridiculous, I'm afraid. If there is a problem, the teachers should not be waiting for a set time/day to be informing parents; they should be all over it, discussing it with the parents as it comes up - hanging around waiting till March just delays dealing with the problem. In the same way that there should be no surprises at Parents Evenings - any issues should have been identified already so that parents and teachers can form their Parents Evening discussion around any improvements/what more needs to be done etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now