Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Re: CRGS Y7 2016 Intake

Post by Minesatea »

I have replied by pm but look at Chambers 84

http://www.chambersbus.co.uk/timetables/84

DD thinks there is a stop at the Nayland and Boxted road Junction.
KB

Post by KB »

It's worth being aware that most boys who get a bus that goes in to the town would then walk to school rather than switching to another bus out along Lexden Road. Less hassle but also quite likely quicker given reliability and traffic.
myfamily

Post by myfamily »

Thanks minestea for the information.. I will check it.

and

Dear KB,
regarding change of buses, when I checked in google, it said it will take 15 min to walk to school from high street or boxted road. Are you saying that it wont actually take that much time.
Two-at-once

Post by Two-at-once »

myfamily wrote:My son is going to CRGS from Sept 2016. we are planning to move to mile end in colchester. But i cant find any relevant bus services from mile end to CRGS. He needs to changes 2 buses if he travels in this route.
I want to know about bus services in this route. Please help...
Hi 'my family' my son is starting CRGS in sept too. Depending where you are in Mile End (also known as Myland!) the number 65 bus goes from Highwoods along Mile End road then past the hospital, then the station and into town, circuit of town and then up Lexden Road. The number 61 does the same as far as town but they can walk the last bit from the High Street.

If you're not near Mile End Road then it may well have to be two buses or a walk from the High Street. I think there are some boys that get off the no.65 bus in the High Street anyway and walk the last bit.
KB

Post by KB »

Depends where on the High Street and if they are stepping out or dawdling.
Traffic can be pretty bad and at least on foot they are in control.
From the top of the High Street to school shouldn't be more than 10 minutes I'd have thought.
A stretch of legs and breath of fresh air can be a good start to the day and boys seem to enjoy the social aspect of walking with mates.

The best thing is probably for you and your DC to do some trial runs and get to know the routes over the summer so he can see what suits him best once he starts. Advantage of purple blazers is that they are easy to follow if he isn't sure where to go ;)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

If you use the number 2 bus to the high street I would not bother to change onto the 65 to go round to the the school. The walk is about 10 mins but the bus can take just as long due to the circular route it takes. DS1 used to get off the 65 at the high street and walk unless it was really raining hard as he thought it was quicker to walk.

(The 65 bus does not go down Mile End road, it uses Mill Rood and Turner road and thus is not your best option)
Two-at-once

Post by Two-at-once »

Minesatea wrote: (The 65 bus does not go down Mile End road, it uses Mill Rood and Turner road and thus is not your best option)
Oops thanks Minesatea I was getting my Miles and Mills in a muddle! I sometimes wonder where my DC get their brains from!
piprush

Post by piprush »

Thinking ahead here to uniform.
I can't find anywhere on the website about the uniform the boys need. I want to start budgeting now! Can anyone with boys currently, or previously at the school advise me?

Thanks
Pip
Firefly33

Post by Firefly33 »

piprush wrote:Thinking ahead here to uniform.
I can't find anywhere on the website about the uniform the boys need. I want to start budgeting now! Can anyone with boys currently, or previously at the school advise me?

Thanks
Pip
If you look on Coes of Ipswich website you can see the prices of all the uniform. They are really helpful in there too. I seem to remember getting a uniform list from the school at the information evening. He will need the white PE kit for indoors and the black shorts/rugby top for outside. We also bought the waterproof sports top and although my son has never worn his I know plenty of the boys do.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you go to the Coes of Ipswich website, you can see the prices for new uniform, or look here for second hand

http://www.crgs.co.uk/search/Uniform

(Sorry, not a CRGS parent, just curious :D ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now