Transport from Chelmsford to Colchester Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sumali106

Transport from Chelmsford to Colchester Girls

Post by sumali106 »

Can someone help, I am looking for a coach. We are planing to move to Chelmsford soon, but thought it would be better to check out the transport option before we chose an area to buy a house.
Proudmumregardless

Re: Transport from Chelmsford to Colchester Girls

Post by Proudmumregardless »

The 71 bus goes from Chelmsford and goes along the main run past the grammar schools up here. The other option is the train but it's then a short bus ride from the station or a long walk.

There may be other options. Which bit of Chelmsford are you looking at? Chelmer village, Springfield Hatfield Peverel and Boreham are all on the bus route
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have you checked the CSSE website? I think there used to be a consortium bus from Chelmsford to the Colchester schools. It would restrict you to the one bus in the morning and the same after school, though, so if there is a public service that would be much more flexible and you wouldn't have to pay the administration fee :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sumali106

Post by sumali106 »

Thanks. We have not chosen an area to buy a house yet. We thought it would be better to check the transport links and then decide on the area we want to move. Both myself and my husband need to travel to Central London for work. So we thought moving to Chelmsford would be better. I also need to find a primary school for my 6 year old DD. Any advise much appreciated.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sumali106 wrote:Thanks. We have not chosen an area to buy a house yet. We thought it would be better to check the transport links and then decide on the area we want to move. Both myself and my husband need to travel to Central London for work. So we thought moving to Chelmsford would be better. I also need to find a primary school for my 6 year old DD. Any advise much appreciated.
Others would be able to advise on the desirability of the primary schools, but then are some nice places to live in Chelmsford which would be within walking distance of the railway / bus stations. Hatfield Peverel is obviously quieter (except when the A12 is blocked and traffic gets put back through on the old road :roll: ) and a shorter bus journey for your DD, but I don't know how fast the train service to London is from there.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Hatfield Peverel trains are less frequent than the mainline from Chelmsford. You're looking at 45 train from there to London I think.
Bear in mind our trains are appalling out this way to the point mp's are getting embroiled in discussions about London firms cutting down on recruiting from the south East due to them

Schools wise the good secondaries I think are still Boswells and Moulsham although chelmer Valley is non too shabby either from what I've heard (aside from the grammars) so you'd want to ideally move to feeder schools for them. However property in Springfield and old Moulsham can be pretty pricy.