Can I ask out of area applicants something?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Can I ask out of area applicants something?

Post by ToadMum »

Depending on how you manage to dovetail your train arriving with a bus being available to get on to up to the school, you will probably be pushed to do Southend Central to SHSB in ten minutes, I'm afraid. The only bus which stops outside the station runs from there back towards Leigh on Sea; your DS will have to go either to Chichester Road for a 7 / 8 / 9 (or across into the travel centre for the 20 / 21 / 25, or up past the Forum and over to the middle of the Interchange to pick up the same buses (but here they all stop in the same place rather than some at a roadside stop and some in the travel centre). I would probably do the latter.

If you were thinking of him walking up to the school from Westcliff station, I would personally say, think again (definitely not a ten minute walk, nor would it be to walk to the school from Southend Central rather than getting a bus, although quite few do walk it).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

My son is at KEGS which is our nearest grammar school and I am extremely thankful for it. He has broken his foot and is on crutches and has been unable to use public transport and has needed to be taken and collected from school every day. Life would have been impossible with another child at primary school and work if he had been at any of the other schools and I would have been spending literally hours in the car to get him to school. These things do happen and are worth considering!
tian

Post by tian »

ToadMum wrote:Depending on how you manage to dovetail your train arriving with a bus being available to get on to up to the school, you will probably be pushed to do Southend Central to SHSB in ten minutes, I'm afraid. The only bus which stops outside the station runs from there back towards Leigh on Sea; your DS will have to go either to Chichester Road for a 7 / 8 / 9 (or across into the travel centre for the 20 / 21 / 25, or up past the Forum and over to the middle of the Interchange to pick up the same buses (but here they all stop in the same place rather than some at a roadside stop and some in the travel centre). I would probably do the latter.

If you were thinking of him walking up to the school from Westcliff station, I would personally say, think again (definitely not a ten minute walk, nor would it be to walk to the school from Southend Central rather than getting a bus, although quite few do walk it).
Hi Toadmum,
do you mean that there are no buses from Southend east station who takes directly to the school? If not then like you said he needs to go to Southend central. Last year we did this route, by mistake we got off to Southend central and took the bus from there which takes around 7min and arrived straight to the school.
I will definetely get him the plus bus, I know is a long walk and it is not the case to do it in winter time.
Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Southend East is the station for Southend High School for Girls, not the boys' school. It's actually possible to get a bus from close to Southend East to SHSB, but that would definitely take longer than ten minutes :lol: .

The actual bus journey from the interchange may only take seven minutes (traffic permitting), but you have to get to the bus stop from the railway station and from the stop at the school end to your form room. I would definitely recommend being at the interchange by 8.15, just doable from the train which gets in at 8.10 (07.39 from Upminster), but the one before might be safer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tian

Post by tian »

ToadMum wrote:Southend East is the station for Southend High School for Girls, not the boys' school. It's actually possible to get a bus from close to Southend East to SHSB, but that would definitely take longer than ten minutes :lol: .

The actual bus journey from the interchange may only take seven minutes (traffic permitting), but you have to get to the bus stop from the railway station and from the stop at the school end to your form room. I would definitely recommend being at the interchange by 8.15, just doable from the train which gets in at 8.10 (07.39 from Upminster), but the one before might be safer.
Hi Toadmum,
thank you. I risked to send him to school's girls :lol: I was laughing about it. Yes it is definitely safer to get the one before 7.39, just to take easy and not rushing.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tian wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Southend East is the station for Southend High School for Girls, not the boys' school. It's actually possible to get a bus from close to Southend East to SHSB, but that would definitely take longer than ten minutes :lol: .

Hi Toadmum,
thank you. I risked to send him to school's girls :lol: I was laughing about it. Yes it is definitely safer to get the one before 7.39, just to take easy and not rushing.
Just tell him to hang on for another 5 years, then SHSG will be glad to consider him, I'm sure 8)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now