Driving to KEGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SlighlyStressedMum

Driving to KEGS?

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Hi. Is there anyone who drives their child to KEGS (or to the girl school?).
I am wondering how insanely busy the traffic is? I can drive it in 10 mins in the daytime but assuming the traffic is much much heavier at school times? I'd need to be back in Chelmer Village to get two younger ones to school for 8.55 too. Is this an insane idea does anyone know?
ahap

Re: Driving to KEGS?

Post by ahap »

There's high traffic after 8.30 am in Springfield, Chelmer Valley road, Broomfield road etc.
It starts around 8.20am.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
marigold

Post by marigold »

HI,

My husband occasionally drives our son to KEGS. We live off Moulsham Street and he leaves at 8am , drops son off at about 8.10 and then is at Broomfield Hospital by 8.30 so I don't think it is insanely bad. A lot of boys arrive very early because of train times etc so do not worry about about him being alone in the classroom if he gets there at 8-8.15 am. You should have no problem in getting back to Chelmer village in plenty of time.

The only problem is where to drop off as they are very strict about not dropping off in the school or on the road outside, we get many letters home about it, so the best place to do it is in the car park nearer the girls school.
SlighlyStressedMum

Thanks. Yes I was thinking of dropping him in the car park over the road then he can use the lights to cross Broomfield road. Hmm so if I left mine just before 8 and managed to drop him by 8.15 it just might be possible. Thank you. I think i'll get my husband to do the walk to school after half term and I might do a practice run.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

The problem is the regularity with which Chelmsford approaches gridlock.
My husband works in Chelmsford just near KEGS and CCHS. I can do the journey from home to CCHS out of rush hour in 15-20 minutes. His commute can easily take over an hour when the roads are busy.
I think you would need a robust plan B for getting your younger children to school for the worst days.
SlighlyStressedMum

Yes that's also my worry. Although my husband works from home a few days a week usually so he would be on hand to help. I was thinking my 'gridlock' plan might be getting him as far as Riverside Retail Park and him walking from there.

Although still considering sending him on the public bus. But again, they're not massively reliable either!
KB

Post by KB »

Do be careful of making a decision on the basis of a trial run after half term.
Our experience is in Colchester rather than Chelmsford but the road that goes past a large number of schools is much clearer in June due to so many (years 11, 12 ,13) bring on exam leave.
With the better weather there are also more children walking.

If it's like Colchester there is a 'cut off time ' after which the road changes from being virtually clear to one long jam.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now