Term time holidays

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
star72

Re: Term time holidays

Post by star72 »

Thanks for all the replies. Let me explain the actual scenario.

So my husband's mum and all his siblings bar one, live abroad. His brother who lives here has two children who will be getting married abroad next year. One of his nieces who lives abroad will also be getting married. All three dates have been arranged within 18 days so that we can attend. As a family the last time we visited the grandmother and paternal families was in 2010. As we are going after such a long time, we would like to take an extra 3 days before the easter hols so that we can spend a little extra time with the family. As working parents, its difficult to get time off ourselves and we wouldn't be able to visit for another few years
We would be happy for DS to take any notes/work for those 3 days with us.
KB

Post by KB »

I think your problem will be that while the extra 3 days may be sensible given you are already making the journey it will just be counted as holiday. However you can take it as unauthorised absence.

I doubt the teachers will be happy about giving out work in advance. Usually at secondary school if a pupil misses work ( including having been ill) they have to take the initiative and persuade a class mate from each missed lesson to lend them notes to copy up and give details of homework.

In year 7 they might not be set so your DS may have a pal who he has all his lessons with. That makes it a lot easier! It might be that said pal can be persuaded to scan in work and email it to your DS while you are away.
star72

Post by star72 »

Thanks for your responses.

I think that would be a good idea KB (I'm sure ds's friends will be happy to email any missed work to him). However he is currently in year 7 so will be in Year 8 by then. Hope that won't cause more problems!

Would it be wise to request the leave before they break up for school hols this Summer as ideally I would like to book the tickets. The prices will only increase the longer I leave them!

Regards
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The extra three days is just that 'extra' - not really essential and no teacher would be allowed to do it.

Why didn't they consult family before arranging the date?

I wouldn't be happy to set work in these circumstances and often the child will come back expecting extra 'help' sessions to catch up.
Last edited by Guest55 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

I would certainly contact the school asap.
If they won't give permission then as stated above you do still have the choice to take him out anyway.
I would stress the close family wedding perspective and the fact its so important for you to be there that the weddings have been arranged as far as possible to facilitate that.

Hopefully DS will still have a reliable pal in all the same lessons. Unless you decide its better to split the workload!
I would help him get organised with a list of each lesson he will miss with a space for class work and homework, giving a copy to his friend(s) and keeping one - being clear if more than one boy is involved who is doing which lessons.

It's worth thinking about contacting the boy's parent to clear it with them if it's likely to be a lot of work. I would also offer a 'thank you' gift or treat.

I would get DS to tell each teacher in advance that he will be missing lessons but that he has made arrangements for copying up. A few might be irritated but the courtesy is usually appreciated.
moved

Post by moved »

No fine from a school perspective and as head I would understand, but I wouldn't authorise. It would damage my data as I'm judged on unauthorised, but there would be nothing I could do. I'm not convinced in either primary or secondary that 3 days will damage a child's education. I've worked in both sectors. Attendance is another bit of data to 'bash' a school with.

A week off starts to interfere with a child's learning and mine with attendance of 65% are underperforming and this isn't surprising. We don't have any now as we've worked with families and I go to the house and get the children in school if necessary. Most parents rush them round at the threat of the head coming to the house!