current scores?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kg309

current scores?

Post by kg309 »

Hi
Just wondered what sort of scores you children are curently getting for those sitting in September?
It is still hit and miss with our daughter whether she does ok at a paper or not. Wondering how much I should be expecting of her. I am trying hard not to put too much pressure on her but without knowing if she's on track it's hard to judge.
Thanks
Kara
Taolut

Re: current scores?

Post by Taolut »

kg309 wrote:Hi
Just wondered what sort of scores you children are curently getting for those sitting in September?
It is still hit and miss with our daughter whether she does ok at a paper or not. Wondering how much I should be expecting of her. I am trying hard not to put too much pressure on her but without knowing if she's on track it's hard to judge.
Thanks
Kara
Hi Kara,

what sort of paper is your dd currently attempting, that would give an indication. Is she currently doing the Bond books or another set of papers?

My son is currently on Bond book 10-11+ paper 2 and he is currently getting anywhere between 65 and 85 per cent depending on how he decides to concentrate, so its a bit of hit and miss for him as well.

I tried him on the 2016 entry papers from CSSE and he got 47/60 for the Maths and 38/60 for the English just to give you an indication. He is generally more interested in Maths

So if you give an idea of what paper your daughter is currently attempting then that would help to track.

Hope this helps.
Temi
dizzyizzy65

Post by dizzyizzy65 »

hi kara
the same here with my daughter. she is doing ok with maths gets about 45 but english is only 34
we do about 30 minutes work per day during week and longer on weekends.
i was thinking maybe to get a tutor but hubby says no he says if she is meant to go to grammer school it should be because she is able and not being coached to pass.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

At this point in proceedings we were contemplating pulling dd out of the 11+ her practice scores were so bad.

She's off to ColCHS this September

If they want to go they'll work hard enough to get there.
Two-at-once

Post by Two-at-once »

dizzyizzy65 wrote:hi kara
the same here with my daughter. she is doing ok with maths gets about 45 but english is only 34
we do about 30 minutes work per day during week and longer on weekends.
i was thinking maybe to get a tutor but hubby says no he says if she is meant to go to grammer school it should be because she is able and not being coached to pass.
Good preparation is what's important whether you're DIY'ing or paying for a tutor. IMO the new style test (dropping the VR papers and adding in more writing) will help to erase the 'being coached to pass' theory! I felt under pressure to get a tutor as if he/she would have some secret magic formula to make them pass. If you can spot the weak areas yourself, practise those and also have the patience and time to help them prepare (without falling out) then you're doing what's required already!

Our scores were not consistent at this stage so we stopped doing past papers and did worksheets instead for a few weeks. I looked at which questions they were finding tricky and then made up similar style questions on a 15 to 20 minute daily worksheet. When we went back to past papers I found the scores improved anyway. Be wary of practising the same paper too many times though so you can be sure they've understood the questions and they're not just doing them from memory. I know of one child who aced the practise papers (which had been done several times over) but didn't score high enough on the real unpractised version!

Good luck with all your prep!
P.s My two are starting CRGS & ColCHS in Sept
kg309

Post by kg309 »

thanks this has really helped. We have been doing the bond books 10-11+ for engligh and maths as well as looking at csse papers. we (really i mean DD, what have i actually done lol) have done a combination of her doing them alone with an awareness of time but not to time as well as looking at where she is still struggling.

She has been getting between 55-70% in her english, the higher end being the exception not the rule, but the maths she struggles with more and is getting 50-60% at the moment which is a massive improvement on where she was last september when she got 16% (i hadn't realised how although she has an understanding of some complex maths she didn't fully understand stuff from year 3 when she had 5 teachers).

DD really wants to go to whsg, her brother is in yr 7 at whsb but he didn't have to try very hard whereas she really works at it.

I'm hoping if she can consistently get over 60% in both papers by August that adrenaline on the day with give her an extra push we are in catchment so that will help her.

we over the same maths rules and she understands it but when we do the same thing the next day she panics and writes anything she seems to lack confidence more than anything and i'm worried she will go the other way.

Thanks again,
Kara x
newatthis

Post by newatthis »

Kg309, have patience you still have plenty of time! Have you considered perhaps going back to the bonds 9-10 papers and building up from there? I think the maths concepts would be similar but easier numbers etc. Once the confidence is up, you can move forwards to the 10-11 papers? Another really good set of resources are the Sims & Schofield mental arithmetic books. Maybe mix it up a bit and see what works?

Honestly, I don't think there would be a single child or patent that didn't have a wobble on this journey. My advice would be to take a deep breath and slowly move on!
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

We were doing very little with DD at this point, just reading classic novels and making sure her times tables were solid.

In the summer holidays we did practice tests and she varied from 50% to 97% depending on the effort she was prepared to put in and the type of test. We were never sure which of the two results we were going to get and it didn't make for peaceful times in the last month before the test.

Thankfully on the actual day she did take it seriously and got 50/60 for both parts of the test- my hair is much greyer though!
kg309

Post by kg309 »

thank you. I think it may just be me that is over anxious! I will try those mental arithmatic books I've not heard of those and yes perhaps it would be wise for her to go over some of the 9-10 books again.
Thanks,
Kara x
dizzyizzy65

Post by dizzyizzy65 »

Hi Two-at-Once

we are also trying this We are not going todo any more practice papers until she does for her two mock exams. we are just going through worksheets on the areas she has problems with. We have been working on her times tables over last few weeks and she now feels confident in them, but we will continue this to build up speed.