OMG have I missed open days?! Confused.com

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tigermama72

OMG have I missed open days?! Confused.com

Post by Tigermama72 »

Hi all, I have been going through a few posts here and I am confused when one should attend open days. I was under the impression one attends open days in July preceding the Eleven Plus exam (for example for 11+ exams for 2017, one would attend open days in July 2017, for entry in 2018).
But if it's not so, should I have attended the open days in July 2016? My DS is sitting the Eleven Plus exam in 2017. Also, how do I decide which exam centre to choose? Thanks in advance
PS I am new to the region and don't have a lot of knowledge on the minefield that is 11+.
yoyo123

Re: OMG have I missed open days?! Confused.com

Post by yoyo123 »

Most of our children go to look at the schools in year 5, before taking 11+ in the next September, so you are fine!
KB

Post by KB »

Lots of people around on the forum who will happily help if you have specific questions. It's also worth browsing previous threads.

As to which test centre.
There are comments in previous threads about what happens at different centres.
Many people prefer the smaller centres but they are all well practiced in taking care of the children.
Its also worth making sure you know the area well before hand.
This year some of the centres appear to have got full so it's worth getting booked in early.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Where do you actually live? It would make sense to register your DS to sit the exam at the school which is most convenient for you, although you have got ages yet for sightseeing around Essex :) . Shoeburyness High School has plenty of parking (assuming that they allow you to park on-site) and may be quieter than, say, WHSB. But a bit of a traipse for 8.15 if you live between Chelmsford and Colchester, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

Some families go to open days in the summer of year 4 - just to get a feel for whether it is something their children want to work towards.
Tigermama72

Post by Tigermama72 »

Thanks all! Much appreciated.
KB- When you say it's worth booking a centre early, how early do you mean?
Toadmum- I live in Beaulieu Park in Chelmsford.
KB

Post by KB »

The csse web site will have all the dates you need.
I would get booked in as soon as bookings 'open' - no reason not too?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tigermama72 wrote:Thanks all! Much appreciated.
KB- When you say it's worth booking a centre early, how early do you mean?
Toadmum- I live in Beaulieu Park in Chelmsford.

I would probably stick with KEGS, personally. A bit of retail therapy to take your mind off the exam while he's taking it and a nice lunch at Lek's in the market (that and a visit to the cheese stall being my answer to anything in Chelmsford :D ) to take his mind off it afterwards.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

My son sat it at Kegs. It was quite organised. Bit of a queue round the wall along Broomfield Rd but fast moving. Once inside they separated them alphabetically and you wave them goodbye. I'm only in Chelmer Village but I stayed in town anyway. Cuppa and cake in Costa, bit of shopping, then I sat in the library reading (worrying) for the last 45 mins! Then treated him to lunch after :-)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I did exactly the same slightlystressedmum! We arrived at registration 5 minutes before it closed so no queue at all, just toilet and straight into the hall for the exam. We did not want DS sitting in the exam hall getting anxious for 20 + minutes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now