CEM and CSSE age standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

littlemissm

CEM and CSSE age standardisation

Post by littlemissm »

Hi,
Does anyone know if age standardisation is applied to the CCHS CEM and CSSE tests? I've heard various rumours but can't confirm it anywhere.
Thank you !
ToadMum

Re: CEM and CSSE age standardisation

Post by ToadMum »

littlemissm wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know if age standardisation is applied to the CCHS CEM and CSSE tests? I've heard various rumours but can't confirm it anywhere.
Thank you !
CCHS yes. CSSE, no. I was told that they do look at the results to check, but have never found the need to standardise by age, from a statistical point of view. 'The tests are not age standardised' is part of the answer to one of the FAQs on the CSSE website.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

i had no idea that standardisation applied to the CEM exam....
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

All CEM exams are standardised and all Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoniing exams that I know of. DG
littlemissm

Post by littlemissm »

Thank you. Does anyone know if the age standardisation makes much difference in CEM if CSSE hasn't found the need to apply it?
ypkr

Post by ypkr »

I am note sure if I am correct on my observation from last year results of CSSE.
I came to a conclusion that CSSE scoring is based on Age Standardization !

One example I could deduce is,
Maths | English | Score | TotalMarks | Percentage | Ratio of Marks/Score
43 | 42 | 340.42 | 85 | 70.83% | 4.004941176
55 | 32 | 337.206 | 87 | 72.50% | 3.875931034

A pupil with lesser Total marks, got higher final score. How can this happen except for having an age standardization in place ?
Correct me if I am wrong.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ypkr wrote:I am note sure if I am correct on my observation from last year results of CSSE.
I came to a conclusion that CSSE scoring is based on Age Standardization !

One example I could deduce is,
Maths | English | Score | TotalMarks | Percentage | Ratio of Marks/Score
43 | 42 | 340.42 | 85 | 70.83% | 4.004941176
55 | 32 | 337.206 | 87 | 72.50% | 3.875931034

A pupil with lesser Total marks, got higher final score. How can this happen except for having an age standardization in place ?
Correct me if I am wrong.
You are wrong, I'm afraid - if you look at the CSSE website, you will find the statement that age standardisation is not used

The two papers are treated individually - they have a different mean and standard deviation, so for example a difference in raw score of 2 marks in the English paper will have a different effect on the overall standardised score than the same difference in the Maths paper. Look back in the Essex section for a post from a member who asked the CSSE for the relevant details and you can see how the overall score is calculated - in previous years, this was 'Aang', but last year someone else asked, I'm afraid I can't remember who but it was very soon after the results day in October.

Your calculation re '%' etc doesn't come into it.

ETA - have a look at Blitz's post on the last page here, which includes an explanation of how the standardised score is calculated:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p529665
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ypkr

Post by ypkr »

Thanks a lot Toadmum, for correcting me.

I forgot about that standardization over mean which was posted earlier.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now