Rechecking of Maths paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tomcruise

Rechecking of Maths paper

Post by Tomcruise »

Hi,

Is there any possibility to ask for rechecking the maths paper? My son is expecting between 50 to 55 marks in maths, but he got 42. He is very sure that he wont get less than 50. So i am looking if there is any option to recheck the maths paper, if so how can i proceed. Please let us know if anyone has any idea about this?

Thanks in advance
ToadMum

Re: Rechecking of Maths paper

Post by ToadMum »

Tomcruise wrote:Hi,

Is there any possibility to ask for rechecking the maths paper? My son is expecting between 50 to 55 marks in maths, but he got 42. He is very sure that he wont get less than 50. So i am looking if there is any option to recheck the maths paper, if so how can i proceed. Please let us know if anyone has any idea about this?

Thanks in advance
Have you contacted the CSSE office (assuming that they are responding to phone calls or emails at the moment)? I think you used to be advised to contact the school where your DC sat the exam if you had a query, but that might have changed. I'm not sure how likely you are to be successful, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

Tomcruise well done to your DS, he got his first choice as I understand? Forget about the maths score, remember this post you made...
Tomcruise wrote:Hi, my son took Essex exam today . He found maths paper easy but the English paper hard, he was the same while doing practice papers also. How about your kids?
and ensure he learns from it. An 'easy' paper means either a DC has missed the point AND/OR his/her mark will be standardised against other higher scoring marks. Bear in mind these tax payer funded schools will be bearing the financial burden of the huge number of applications they attract and we all have better things to spend our money on than extending the process unnecessarily.

Celebrate DS's success and be thankful that you are not in the position that many are tonight.
Crossed posts with ToadMum
mad?
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Just remember that when remarked, scores can up as well as DOWN. A few years ago, a friend decided on going down this route only for the child to attain a lower score. Thread carefully, your child has done well. I can't see what the big deal is if he has secured a place in grammar school.
Tomcruise

Post by Tomcruise »

seriousmum wrote:Just remember that when remarked, scores can up as well as DOWN. A few years ago, a friend decided on going down this route only for the child to attain a lower score. Thread carefully, your child has done well. I can't see what the big deal is if he has secured a place in grammar school.
If that is the case, I will keep quite, thank you for valuable suggestion.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Tomcruise wrote:
seriousmum wrote:Just remember that when remarked, scores can up as well as DOWN. A few years ago, a friend decided on going down this route only for the child to attain a lower score. Thread carefully, your child has done well. I can't see what the big deal is if he has secured a place in grammar school.
If that is the case, I will keep quite, thank you for valuable suggestion.
You should be very proud. He has done well and should get in with that score. All the best.
Tomcruise

Post by Tomcruise »

mad? wrote:Tomcruise well done to your DS, he got his first choice as I understand? Forget about the maths score, remember this post you made...
Tomcruise wrote:Hi, my son took Essex exam today . He found maths paper easy but the English paper hard, he was the same while doing practice papers also. How about your kids?
and ensure he learns from it. An 'easy' paper means either a DC has missed the point AND/OR his/her mark will be standardised against other higher scoring marks. Bear in mind these tax payer funded schools will be bearing the financial burden of the huge number of applications they attract and we all have better things to spend our money on than extending the process unnecessarily.

Celebrate DS's success and be thankful that you are not in the position that many are tonight.
Crossed posts with ToadMum
Thank you for positive comments and valuable suggestion mad!!
Tomcruise

Post by Tomcruise »

ToadMum wrote:

Thanks in advance
Have you contacted the CSSE office (assuming that they are responding to phone calls or emails at the moment)? I think you used to be advised to contact the school where your DC sat the exam if you had a query, but that might have changed. I'm not sure how likely you are to be successful, though.
Thank you for the reply ToadMum.

Blitz mentioned "All the English/AR and Maths papers were marked at individual schools. All papers were double marked/checked by two different markers."
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tomcruise wrote:
ToadMum wrote:

Thanks in advance
Thank you for the reply ToadMum.

Blitz mentioned "All the English/AR and Maths papers were marked at individual schools. All papers were double marked/checked by two different markers."
Certainly, SHSG had a sizeable section of its carpark designated 'CSSE schools only' at the beginning of the week after the main exam date...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
natnats

Post by natnats »

I asked for a rechecking of my daughters papers a couple of years back. they advised that they would only do an admin check to ensure the marks were added up correctly and not a thorough check of the answers given
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now