Feeling deflated

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Two-at-once

Re: Feeling deflated

Post by Two-at-once »

344.899 is a fab score which he wouldn't have been able to achieve without brains and the right attitude to want to do well. So huge congratulations to your DS.

My DS had a similar experience and the headteacher said that he would probably be just ok at a grammar school because of his resilience! (implying he wouldn't be one of the high fliers with brains!) I was quite upset that they had decided he would need resilience. He was always being compared with his twin in the same class. I had to remind myself that even if he had one of the lower scores he was still one of the top students in the area. He was a little worried that he might be bottom of the class but I assured him that all he needed to do was to work to his best ability as that would be more important anyway. After all, grammar schools are still working to the same curriculum as any other school with the same exams at the end. Yes they work at a fast pace and expect a lot from their students but our experience of CRGS so far is that effort is rewarded. My DS is now flying (at a very respectable altitude) and is surprising himself with how well he is doing and how much he loves it.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

I think the school are being very unfair to your DS. If he has a good enough mark to get into KEGS, then he has a good enough mark. If you think he is temperamentally suited to GS (and you are much better placed than the school as you know your DS and have experience of a child at GS) then go for it.
Don't let anyone rain on his parade by saying how tough GS is or how he might not be up to it, or how he will struggle if he is bottom of the class. If he doesn't take the place, then all that will happen is that someone with a lower score will take it instead. So if he wants to go to KEGS and you think it would suit him, then stuff the school.
(And once allocations day is out of the way they can metaphorically stuff their SATS results too).

Apologies - but your school's attitude has made me really cross.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

What are people getting deflated about?
Being asked to work hard for the rest of the year or even god forbid been told one is very resilient.

Resilience is probably the most important attribute to have in life :roll: it beats natural intelligience any day.

A very odd thread.
jojo2305

Post by jojo2305 »

Thank you for your lovely responses. Hearing other peoples experiences of how your dc settled into grammar school has been very encouraging. We have submitted our CAF, now to enjoy the rest of Y6 :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Congratulations to your son and enjoy having confounded the "experts". I know of of a family who had the same experience this week at their school.

Their ds got in the high 250s at QE but was told by the Head and the form teacher that he would struggle at QE and would be forced to leave. His parents were advised to turn down the place and go for a less "challenging" school.

Sometimes what a teacher sees of a student in a busy class of thirty is not the real story. You know your ds so celebrate his success and look to updating them on all his amazing progress once he gets there. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now