Scholars' Season Tickets for rail travel to grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

missymoo1972

Re: Scholars' Season Tickets for rail travel to grammar scho

Post by missymoo1972 »

I have just rung green rail travel to check when to buy tickets and the yearly price and he said C2C may not be on the scheme next year as there is talk of them doing their own but he hasn't heard yet. Out of interest to anyone, yearly for Laindon to Southend East will be £566.20 (probably he said!)
mummyyawns

Post by mummyyawns »

Thanks for the reply Toadmum :)
EvaZ

Post by EvaZ »

Hi
will c2c be selling the scholars tickets this year ? my DD will be travelling to SHSG
Many thanks Eva
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

EvaZ wrote:Hi
will c2c be selling the scholars tickets this year ? my DD will be travelling to SHSG
Many thanks Eva
https://public.greenrailtravel.co.uk/sc ... asons.html

The message on the Green Rail Travel site:

Scholars Season for travel on c2c services are now available

If you are travelling via c2c Rail services to Chalkwell / Southend East / Southend Central / Westcliff you now have to purchase your scholars season ticket directly from c2c Rail (please see the links below).

For your reference, a map showing the lines that c2c Rail operate is shown to the left. If you are travelling to Southend Victoria or Prittlewell, you will need to go back to the main scholars menu at the top of the screen and select your ticket type from there

***PLEASE NOTE***

With effect from the Spring term, Jan 2019, c2c are fulfilling their own Student season tickets (please see the links below). Scholars Season Tickets are no longer available through this office or on this website. You can save up to a 1/3 off travel when you buy a Weekly, Monthly, Term or Annual Season ticket through the c2c Student Smartcard.  

Apply for your Student Smartcard at http://www.c2c-online.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or click on this text for a direct link to the c2c Student Smartcard Page
(https://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets-an ... card-promo
- sorry, hyperlink doesn't 'travel' and I've forgotten how to do them on here).

The c2c Student Smartcard is only for 16+, though, so I assume 11 - 15 year olds will just have to get a normal child season ticket, unless I've missed something. If you get that loaded on a Smartcard, though, it at least solves the problem of the cardboard ones becoming unreadable by the machines part way through the year.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
EvaZ

Post by EvaZ »

Thanks Toadmum :)
Pushy Mum

Post by Pushy Mum »

c2c now have a ITSO Photo smart card for 5-15 year olds. You can buy child session tickets, FLEXI session , monthly weekly ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

This year's scheme and prices for Greater Anglia Scholars Tickets:
https://railplus.greateranglia.co.uk/sc ... asons.html

This covers travel to SHSB / St Bernard's (via Southend Victoria) / SHSG (with added PlusBus), the Chelmsford and Colchester grammar schools (amongst others) using Greater Anglia.

The C2C scheme is separate and involves acquiring a C2C SmartCard (as previously discussed). WHSB / WHSG abd St Thomas More are accessed via Chalkwell Station; the C2C station for St Bernards and SHSB is Westcliff. If you have the choice, SHSB is closer to Prittlewell Station, the stop before Southend Victoria on GA.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DHAYA

Re: Scholars' Season Tickets for rail travel to grammar schools

Post by DHAYA »

My son secured a Year 7 place at KEGS! We're planning his commute from Manningtree and are exploring options.

Is anyone else commuting from Manningtree to KEGS? Wondering if there are alternatives to the train, please let me know your suggestions.
Humdinger

Post by Humdinger »

DHAYA wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 pm My son secured a Year 7 place at KEGS! We're planning his commute from Manningtree and are exploring options.

Is anyone else commuting from Manningtree to KEGS? Wondering if there are alternatives to the train, please let me know your suggestions.
Just curious - is there a reason you didn’t choose CRGS since Manningtree is so close to Colchester? I think a coach/bus is likely to be much longer than the train with all the traffic going into London. Because KEGS is a quick walk from the Chelmsford train station the train seems like the easiest choice.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Humdinger wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm
DHAYA wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 pm My son secured a Year 7 place at KEGS! We're planning his commute from Manningtree and are exploring options.

Just curious - is there a reason you didn’t choose CRGS since Manningtree is so close to Colchester? I think a coach/bus is likely to be much longer than the train with all the traffic going into London. Because KEGS is a quick walk from the Chelmsford train station the train seems like the easiest choice.
I must admit that the proximity of KEGS to the station in Chelmsford might lead me to prefer it (should I live in Manningtree), but it would perhaps depend on proximity to Manningtree station at the home end?