Colchester Girls any tips?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bravado

Re: Colchester Girls any tips?

Post by bravado »

KB wrote:Interesting that they don't have to teach some hockey.

Guessing the girls have sufficient variety of other sports, dance etc that it gives them the breadth required.

It's a shame they don't do a bit more though.

They have a huge variety of sports - I went to an all-girls' grammar and we didn't do hockey - Lacrosse was our field-sport. At the ripe of old age 18, I picked up a hockey stick for the first time in my life, as we had to do one PE item for 6th Form studies - I chose Hockey as there was little else to do and hated every moment :wink:
The girls have an amazing diversity of sports to chose from, although Lacrosse is sadly no longer on offer, following the departure of the lovely Mr B :( There's Cross-Country, swimming, Athletics, Rugby, Netball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Fitness, Gymnastics, Football, Rounders....and dance. There's also an array of lunch and after-school sports, too. If I'm honest, I believe the school goes all-out to offer more diversity than a lot of schools I've come across and they're not gender-defined/confined :D

There's even a little touch of "Strictly" glamour, with a vibrant Ballroom & Latin after-school dance class :D Perhaps it should be a joint-venture with CRGS?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Sports Teams that DD can think of include: crosscountry, biathlon, athletics, netball, football, cricket, rounders, swimming, and badminton.
Lots of other sports in lessons, DD did circuit training and personal survival as part of her GCSE.
KB

Post by KB »

Please be careful if you only re quote part of a previous post.

It's good to give the pupils a variety but sometimes by providing too much choice it means some pupils can choose only those activities they are naturally inclined towards ( for some that's maybe indoors and staying clean and dry ;) Whereas taking especially girls out of their comfort zone can be beneficial. As I said before I don't hold with forcing them into something long term, more just to give it a good try in case they actually enjoy it.

And that's not a point about a specific school. I have no criticism to make of ColCHS.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

I may be a bit late here, my DD is in Yr 11,

I was intrigued by the "do not run outside G2" recommendation, so I asked my DD whose room that is and now I have to agree with that advice!

My suggestions:

most of the stuff on the sports list is not needed - ignore the astro turf shoes - never worn, my DD says there is no astro turf, no need for shin pads, gum shields etc, there is no hockey. Personally I don't think the sports offering is good. Unless you arrive from a prep school having previously played and ready for the A team, there's not a lot.

Just buy one kilt - and try the second hand shop run by the PTA - Kilts are good quality, wash quickly and last, you will not need two.

Buy short sleeve blouses - the building is hot, you can manage with 3 - or mabe 2 x 2 packs. Tesco used to do these, but I think they have been discontinued and you may have to go to Coe's.

No one wears the scarf.

PE stuff - apart from shorts and top, the rest was not worn much, try 2nd hand if you want a tracksuit, you could wait until October half term, you won't need it sooner. Don't think anyone wears a skort.

You will definitely not need a hockey stick or tennis racket.

Work hard, all the time!!!!

avoid make up, don't roll your skirt up.

Any Q's, send me a PM.
bravado

Post by bravado »

sleeplessinhalstead wrote:
Any Q's, send me a PM.
Likewise for me, too - happy to answer any questions and if I need help, I'll ask DD2 for her input :D
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

sleeplessinhalstead wrote:I may be a bit late here, my DD is in Yr 11,

I was intrigued by the "do not run outside G2" recommendation, so I asked my DD whose room that is and now I have to agree with that advice!

My suggestions:

most of the stuff on the sports list is not needed - ignore the astro turf shoes - never worn, my DD says there is no astro turf, no need for shin pads, gum shields etc, there is no hockey. Personally I don't think the sports offering is good. Unless you arrive from a prep school having previously played and ready for the A team, there's not a lot.

Just buy one kilt - and try the second hand shop run by the PTA - Kilts are good quality, wash quickly and last, you will not need two.

Buy short sleeve blouses - the building is hot, you can manage with 3 - or mabe 2 x 2 packs. Tesco used to do these, but I think they have been discontinued and you may have to go to Coe's.

No one wears the scarf.

PE stuff - apart from shorts and top, the rest was not worn much, try 2nd hand if you want a tracksuit, you could wait until October half term, you won't need it sooner. Don't think anyone wears a skort.

You will definitely not need a hockey stick or tennis racket.

Work hard, all the time!!!!

avoid make up, don't roll your skirt up.

Any Q's, send me a PM.
Excellent, thank you!
Mimo

Post by Mimo »

Hi. I have one daughter going into year 9 in September and another starting in year 7. I agree not all the kit isn't needed but just wanted to say my daughter has used her skort loads!! More than the shorts. I was surprised as I got told when buying the uniform that it was an "optional extra" so I bought it just in case, not expecting her to use it much! I guess it depends on the individual, but in her year it seems very popular! Shes never used the long blue socks though or the tracksuit trousers much (surprisingly?) however my youngest daughter is quite sporty so I have got all these items for her in case they need them for clubs/ matches etc. I know they definitely wear the skort for netball.
I agree only one kilt as they are hard wearing and wash easily.
Coes are brilliant. Received all my order in the post yesterday!
Good luck to everyone in September! Xx
Saratoga

Post by Saratoga »

The school uniform list includes - dark overalls for science and a full length butchers apron

Could anyone tell me if it is necessary to purchase these two items

thanks
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

Yes, they need the overalls for practical science lessons. Coes sell them ( and the butchers apron) and offer an embroidery service for a small fee as they need to have their names embroidered on. We were told it needed to be a certain length.

DD used her butchers apron three or four times in Year 7 for Healthy Living lessons, and every Monday after school for cooking club. Uniform is expensive and if there is mess I want it covered by something!
Saratoga

Post by Saratoga »

Thank you for you prompt reply Colcmum

We are off to Coes tomorrow and I didn't want to buy anything she really didn't need as it is going to be an expensive trip
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now