Number of Students writing CSSE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CSSE_Sep_2018_Entry

Number of Students writing CSSE

Post by CSSE_Sep_2018_Entry »

Has anyone else heard that a record number of students (apparently over 6000) have registered to take the CSSE this September.

This was mentioned in the WHSG Open Afternoon yesterday.

I am wondering what is the average number that write every year. Is this information available in the public domain?

With 10 schools and approx 700 boy places and 700 girl places in the offering, What is the average ratio of actual intake / those who sit the exam?

Nervous Newbie.
Last edited by CSSE_Sep_2018_Entry on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Re: Number of Students writing CSSE

Post by ToadMum »

CSSE_Sep_2018_Entry wrote:Has anyone else heard that a record number of students (apparently over 6000) have registered to take the CSSE this September.

This was mentioned in the WHSG Open Afternoon yesterday.

I am wondering what is the average number that write every year. Is this information available in the public domain?

With 10 schools and approx 700 boy places and 700 places in the offering, What is the average ratio of intake?

Nervous Newbie.
At least up to and including the exam for 2014 entry, it was normally about 4000 per year.

The Southend Borough grammar heads are running a bit of a campaign to try to get more local children put in for the exam, so possibly if there is an increase this year, it is at least in some part due to that.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sjroshan

Post by sjroshan »

Is there statistics on the students sitting within catchment and outside? My DS will be sitting for the CSSE exam this Sept 2017 but as we are outside catchment for both KEGS & WHSB, this data will help understand the competition level.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sjroshan wrote:Is there statistics on the students sitting within catchment and outside? My DS will be sitting for the CSSE exam this Sept 2017 but as we are outside catchment for both KEGS & WHSB, this data will help understand the competition level.
Obviously the CSSE office will know how many have registered to sit, but because in or out of catchment only becomes relevant at the application stage, they may not keep differentiated records.

They'll be back at the beginning of term - you could always try ringing then and asking. They can always say no :) .

How far OOC are you? Are the two schools a reasonable option, travel-wise?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

Personally I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the figures.
Simply having numbers won't necessarily tell you an awful lot as they can be impacted by whats happening at other schools and they don't give an accurate indication of the standard of entrants.
Equally you won't know how many end up putting a particular school as their first choice.
The scores required to get a place do vary year to year but you couldn't predict that just from numbers sitting.
sjroshan

Post by sjroshan »

I understand that mere looking at the figures will not help understand the competition for that particular sitting as there are other factors impacting it too. I live about 20 miles away from KEGS and WHSB is further away.

I live within the CEM catchment in Redbridge and have only 1 boys school which is Ilford County High and hence as a backup letting my DS sit the CSSE exam.
Idoknow

Post by Idoknow »

It is true that the number of applicants have been steadily increasing over the years. I was informed by CSSE Office about the record number of applicants this year, so much so that some candidates would need to sit the test on 03/10/17 .....
Statistically, both Southend grammar schools for boys have not filled their 150 places each for local boys last year and have given them to boys living outside local postcodes SS0 - SS9, allocating them via test results and preference shown on the application form.
From the information on CSSE's website it can be seen that local boys in Southend needed about 20 points less in their final score to get a place, so some parents decided to rent in Southend in the summer, with the intention to move there before the application for secondary school deadline in October... perfectly legal to do as some of them have done home tutoring and calculated that the money saved would be better spent on the rent.
As for travelling to Southend from Redbrige, it is long and tiring; just think of awful weather in winter.... would the child be able to reach home before 17:30, would they take part in after-school activities and clubs, would they have enough sleep and be able to do the homework.... I have two neighbours whose children travel from East London to Southend and always feel sorry for the children when I see them dragging their feet home (never before 17:30).