opinions please.... plan C?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thatisthequestion

opinions please.... plan C?

Post by thatisthequestion »

Hello everyone, I posted earlier about DS scoring 315 OOC so not high enough for WHSB/SHSB. We have a plan B likely place at an outstanding school (non grammar) which we like.

This morning DS noticed that Shoeburyness High seems to take 303 scores and is interested. I know nothing about Shoeburyness High, didn't even consider it. It's further to travel than all our other plan B choices (all OOC though) but not as bad as I thought and do-able. I was thinking of putting it down towards end of choices, after the main plan B school as a safety net as plan B school is not guaranteed.

Now I am thinking should I give Shoeburyness more consideration - maybe put it above the plan B? On the one hand its rated good with outstanding features rather than our plan B outstanding school and is further. On the other its a grammar which DS is keen on and we think would suit him well.

Does anyone have any experiences/knowledge of Shoeburyness? Anything at all please?

thanks in advance
hermanmunster

Re: opinions please.... plan C?

Post by hermanmunster »

i think the first thing I would say is to see if you can visit the school - try the journey etc etc
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

thatisthequestion wrote:Hello everyone, I posted earlier about DS scoring 315 OOC so not high enough for WHSB/SHSB. We have a plan B likely place at an outstanding school (non grammar) which we like.

This morning DS noticed that Shoeburyness High seems to take 303 scores and is interested. I know nothing about Shoeburyness High, didn't even consider it. It's further to travel than all our other plan B choices (all OOC though) but not as bad as I thought and do-able. I was thinking of putting it down towards end of choices, after the main plan B school as a safety net as plan B school is not guaranteed.

Now I am thinking should I give Shoeburyness more consideration - maybe put it above the plan B? On the one hand its rated good with outstanding features rather than our plan B outstanding school and is further. On the other its a grammar which DS is keen on and we think would suit him well.

Does anyone have any experiences/knowledge of Shoeburyness? Anything at all please?

thanks in advance
Shoeburyness is a popular school, but although it allocates some places on performance in the CSSE exam, it is very definitely an all-ability school, not a grammar school. If your DS were to be travelling from outside the Southend / Westcliff priority admissions area, I would think that he would be in a very small minority - the school is first and foremost the local comprehensive for the Shoeburyness area. In our DD's secondary transfer year (2012), she failed the 11+ and so didn't get a selective place and on distance - we are about five and a half miles away - she was 82nd on the waiting list.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not 'dissing' the school; DD loved it, although DS2 didn't want it on his CAF. As a dead cert on your DS's score, as a fall back, perhaps, but I wouldn't necessarily make him travel that far if he has other acceptable options :) ).

Have you actually visited any of the Southend CSSE schools?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thatisthequestion

Post by thatisthequestion »

Thanks for your comments, really helpful. I was going to say I wonder why Shoeburyness High is included in CSSE if its an all ability school but if its popular locally there is the answer, similar to Billericay, Appleton, King John etc. Ok well if that's the case we will probably stick to the list we already have. Yes visited SHSB and WHSB but DS hasn't scored high enough for them and visited all our plan B schools (which are now Plan A I guess) so I will calm down a bit. So difficult if your child has passed minimum but not high enough but at least another indicator of academic ability and a life experience :) Hope everyone gets a place they are happy with.