Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 am 

Will an IC application always take priority over an OOC? Or do the schools always have a percentage which will go to OOC?

i.e. If enough children apply IC there will be no places at all for OOC?

I ask because as we know 50% more children took the exam. Surely that will have a bearing on the number of OOC places?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:18 am 

petjam wrote:
Will an IC application always take priority over an OOC? Or do the schools always have a percentage which will go to OOC?

I ask because as we know 50% more children took the exam. Surely that will have a bearing on the number of OOC places?

Depends really.

WestCliff Girls had 50% kids from OOC and IC last two years - as per the Headteacher on open day.

As per their admission guide - 75% of seats are filled by IC students (no more than 75%), until they run out of IC students who scored 303 or more. It seems this usually is the case. Then they are left with at least 25% seats which are allocated to OOC students.

It depends these extra 50% students who gave the exam this year are from IC or OOC.

What makes it unclear is that we don't know out of these 50% extra students (this year) how many are girls /boys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am 

proud_parent wrote:
petjam wrote:

Depends really.

WestCliff Girls had 50% kids from OOC and IC last two years - as per the Headteacher on open day.

As per their admission guide - 75% of seats are filled by IC students (no more than 75%), until they run out of IC students who scored 303 or more. It seems this usually is the case. Then they are left with at least 25% seats which are allocated to OOC students.

It depends these extra 50% students who gave the exam this year are from IC or OOC.

What makes it unclear is that we don't know out of these 50% extra students (this year) how many are girls /boys.

Hi Proud_Parent I'm curious to know if your suggesting there were 50% more children sitting the CSSE exam compared with last year, or am I perhaps getting that wrong? I recently posted a figure of over 6000, a figure I was advised of prior to the exam. However, having followed this up post-exam it appears approx. 500 did not attend. Regards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 am 

Daddy cool wrote:
proud_parent wrote:
petjam wrote:

Depends really.

Hi Proud_Parent I'm curious to know if your suggesting there were 50% more children sitting the CSSE exam compared with last year, or am I perhaps getting that wrong? I recently posted a figure of over 6000, a figure I was advised of prior to the exam. However, having followed this up post-exam it appears approx. 500 did not attend. Regards

Yes, I saw your post about 6000 this year, compared to 4100 last year.

If 500 didn't appear, it is less than 50%.

Do you know how many didn't appear last year when 4100 had registered.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 pm 

Hi Proud_Parent, sorry for misinforming you. Realising my blunder in providing incorrect figures I have re-checked them. They are as follows: in 2016 approx. 4900 sat the CSSE exam. In 2017 5380 sat the exam, and approx. 6000 registered prior. Thus there was a significant number who did not attend. Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:31 pm 

Petjam,

Yes, generally Southend boys' schools allocate 5/6 of its places to IC boys first but (as it happened last year), there was not enough of them with a minimum score of 303, so those places 'spilled' into OOC allocation and there were more than enough OOC applicants. This was the case with both Southend schools for boys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm 

Daddy cool wrote:
Hi Proud_Parent, sorry for misinforming you. Realising my blunder in providing incorrect figures I have re-checked them. They are as follows: in 2016 approx. 4900 sat the CSSE exam. In 2017 5380 sat the exam, and approx. 6000 registered prior. Thus there was a significant number who did not attend. Regards.

Where is the source of this information?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm 

petjam wrote:
Daddy cool wrote:

Give CSSE a call...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:19 pm 

Daddy cool wrote:
petjam wrote:
Daddy cool wrote:

Give CSSE a call...

That's good to know. I didn't think they would have given you that information.

So not that much up on last year. That puts my mind to rest a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:33 pm 

Would CSSE tell you the proportion of boys to girls?