Wescliff catchment requirement??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pushymother

Re: Wescliff catchment requirement??

Post by pushymother »

FNHM wrote:Thanks all, a very interesting discussion and thanks for the input. In answer to the questions about real intentions, yes, our real intention would be to give living in the new area a real chance. The kids fancy living at the seaside too! Selling our own home now would be impossible though due to the astronomical penalties our mortgage lender would apply for the next two or so years! But yes,the intention would be to rent our own home out.
I think I have answered my own questions and have my fingers crossed we can make this all work for my son! Thank you!
I am hoping you are within the M25 as you will be able to command more rent from a London property to offset your rental costs and additional transport cost if you train it into a London job from Southend.

If you are working in London, C2c is cheaper than Greater Anglia when looking for properties.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pushymother wrote:
FNHM wrote:Thanks all, a very interesting discussion and thanks for the input. In answer to the questions about real intentions, yes, our real intention would be to give living in the new area a real chance. The kids fancy living at the seaside too! Selling our own home now would be impossible though due to the astronomical penalties our mortgage lender would apply for the next two or so years! But yes,the intention would be to rent our own home out.
I think I have answered my own questions and have my fingers crossed we can make this all work for my son! Thank you!
I am hoping you are within the M25 as you will be able to command more rent from a London property to offset your rental costs and additional transport cost if you train it into a London job from Southend.

If you are working in London, C2c is cheaper than Greater Anglia when looking for properties.
Yep. And our trains are nicer :D . I can remember when the (what is now) Greater Anglia trains were considered vastly superior to the ones that we used to have on C2C, but I can safely say that even on our old 'slam doors', the seats never sagged as much as the ones on the GA trains I travelled on the week before last :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
harimom

Post by harimom »

We are also considering a move into Westcliff area. From what I understood from all the discussions in the forum and reading the Southend admission policy is that being in the area SS0 - SS9 almost guarantees a place if the marks are met.
Is there any preference like distance is given priority inside the catchment, just to get more clarity.
Also if I rent a property near to Southend but put Westcliff school as the first preference and Southend second, would Southend school be given more preference or is it that we just need to be inside the catchment of SS0 - SS9 ?

Thanks in advance.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

harimom wrote:We are also considering a move into Westcliff area. From what I understood from all the discussions in the forum and reading the Southend admission policy is that being in the area SS0 - SS9 almost guarantees a place if the marks are met.
Is there any preference like distance is given priority inside the catchment, just to get more clarity.
Also if I rent a property near to Southend but put Westcliff school as the first preference and Southend second, would Southend school be given more preference or is it that we just need to be inside the catchment of SS0 - SS9 ?

Thanks in advance.
You can live absolutely anywhere within the SS0 to ss9 post codes. You will receive your first choice school as stated on your Caf. The ic places are undersubscribed especially boys this year.
Last edited by pushymother on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

harimom wrote:We are also considering a move into Westcliff area. From what I understood from all the discussions in the forum and reading the Southend admission policy is that being in the area SS0 - SS9 almost guarantees a place if the marks are met.

Thanks in advance.
In first instance, places are allocated on score. 'In the priority area' means anywhere in the postcodes SS0 - SS9.

Check the relevant schools' websites for how they deal with applicants competing for the last place, which is the only time distance may be of concern.

Do you have a DD or DS? If you need to use the train yourself, 'near to SHSG' would be Southend East or Thorpe Bay (C2C) stations. 'Near to SHSB', Prittlewell (Greater Anglia) - buses to the Westcliff schools run along Victoria Avenue - Prittlewell Chase / Fairfax Drive. SHSG would involve a walk to London Road or a change of bus.

'Near to WHSG / WHSB' gives you plenty of residential streets within walking distance of Chalkwell or Leigh on Sea (C2C ) but he opting for the latter, depending on exact location, your DC may prefer to take the bus to Westcliff. SHSB would be any bus on London Road or the 21 if nearby (stops at the Westcliff schools and SHSB). SHSG would be train to Southend East, or bus along London Rd (27 or 1 all the way - take a book :lol: - or change in Southend).

(Apologies if this is more detail than you were after :lol:).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
harimom

Post by harimom »

Thanks pushymom and Toadmum. Toadmum, you are great. Pls don't apologise. In a place where people think for answering, you go all the way to help them with even small details. Thank you so much. It is a great help in figuring out which area would work, as you guessed right that we have to commute to London for work. I have got a DS and would mostly aim for Westcliff. He liked it when we went for the open day. The decision is only pending with us, thinking about the distance to London and shifting hassles but I am sure many had gone through this phase and now happy :)
mad?

Post by mad? »

harimom wrote:Thanks pushymom and Toadmum. Toadmum, you are great. Pls don't apologise. In a place where people think for answering, you go all the way to help them with even small details. Thank you so much.
Woohoo well done harimom for a rare thank you on this site, most welcome I am sure. Good luck with everything, I'd LOVE to live by the sea as well!
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mad? wrote:
harimom wrote:Thanks pushymom and Toadmum. Toadmum, you are great. Pls don't apologise. In a place where people think for answering, you go all the way to help them with even small details. Thank you so much.
Woohoo well done harimom for a rare thank you on this site, most welcome I am sure. Good luck with everything, I'd LOVE to live by the sea as well!
Haha! Before you get too enthusiastic about joining us down here on the Estuary, mad?, let me say that when we were househunting all those years ago, we annoyed more than one person by referring to it as Leigh on Mudflat :lol:
alif009

Post by alif009 »

Hi, DD scored 325.32 in csse examination. And i am moving to leigh on sea tomorrow 26th ocober. My DD wants westcliff girls high school. Does she have any chance? Please let me know. Regards Alif.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

alif009 wrote:Hi, DD scored 325.32 in csse examination. And i am moving to leigh on sea tomorrow 26th ocober. My DD wants westcliff girls high school. Does she have any chance? Please let me know. Regards Alif.
As you will be in catchment, yes, of course.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now