Boys and Girls cut offs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SchoolMum3G

Re: Boys and Girls cut offs

Post by SchoolMum3G »

To add to the confusion - if the girls and boys are grouped. We can't tell what % of boys were above/below average.
FNHM

Post by FNHM »

SchoolMum3G wrote:
FNHM wrote:Thank you!

Wow. So 2901 boys sat the exam.
300 is the central point in the standardisation meaning that 50% are above and 50% below, right? And 303 is the pass mark so a little under half of the boys will have passed so say 1425. And they are all hoping to get the 660 or so boys grammar places available. So there will be a lot of disappointed boys this year! Around 765 of them! :(
So many sit it don't they! Quite a few will be bunched close to the 300 - so between 300-303 there would be quite a few. Possibly more than you've suggested :-)

Ah ok- that makes a bit more sense then. Thank you!
FNHM

Post by FNHM »

SchoolMum3G wrote:To add to the confusion - if the girls and boys are grouped. We can't tell what % of boys were above/below average.

Ha ha.... so the moral is to try your luck on the application form for any schools that you are anywhere near the previous year's marks for then!
petjam

Post by petjam »

But close to it, say 48%?
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

211 boys in catchment passed as announced at SHSB this afternoon.
FNHM

Post by FNHM »

Thanks Pushymother!

So that means that if they all apply, that's 365 total combined places for boys (180 for Southend and 185 for Westcliffe) and of those, 211 go to in catchment boys and a total of 154 go to boys out of catchment (assuming that catchments for Westcliffe and Southend are the same, and assuming that none of those opt for KEGS or CRGS)?

Wonder how that compares to previous years to know how high or low the cut offs will be?
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

FNHM wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know why the girls and boys cut offs are so different? My son has 324.737, so if he were a girl would be almost guaranteed Southend and a good chance for Westcliffe and even Colchester. As a boy, he'll be lucky to get Southend Boys on a really good day (we are out of catchment).

Why is there such discrepancy? Are the scores standardised together and boys outperform girls as a whole or is there more to it?

Thanks!
From memory, when my DS took the exam two years ago, the CRGS PAN was 120 and I think the ColCHS Pan was 150, so there were 30 extra places for girls in Colchester. Not sure about the numbers for the other schools in Essex though.
FNHM wrote:Thank you!

Wow. So 2901 boys sat the exam.
300 is the central point in the standardisation meaning that 50% are above and 50% below, right? And 303 is the pass mark so a little under half of the boys will have passed so say 1425. And they are all hoping to get the 660 or so boys grammar places available. So there will be a lot of disappointed boys this year! Around 765 of them! :(
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that 300 is the mean score, in that, if a candidate got the average mark in each paper, then he/she would have a standardised score of 300.
This is not the same as the median (midpoint) score, which could be higher or lower than 300.
A maths expert may correct me, but what I am saying is that the mean and median are not always the same number.
My guess is that the median score is lower than 300, which would mean that less than 50% of candidates scored above 300.
Last edited by Cuddlermum on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
proud_parent

Post by proud_parent »

pushymother wrote:211 boys in catchment passed as announced at SHSB this afternoon.
That's very useful information. Is there any such information for girls?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

proud_parent wrote:
pushymother wrote:211 boys in catchment passed as announced at SHSB this afternoon.
That's very useful information. Is there any such information for girls?
242 IC passes, apparently.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 10#p643050
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now