KEGS or WHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Whatwillbewillbe

KEGS or WHSB

Post by Whatwillbewillbe »

Hello Forum Members. We are in a predicament and need some of your expert guidance. Our DS likes KEGS and WHSB and every morning over breakfast we sit to try and finalise his preferences but he swings between the two. His words are that he likes the feel of both schools. Are there any parents whose sons attend (have attended) that can offer insight into the best and not so good areas of these respective schools. Having visited the open days and the post 11 Plus briefing we are still undecided. If convenience of travel was not an issue which school would you/your sons select and why? I am happy that both schools provide a solid education and great extra curricular activities. We do not have any younger children, but do have a DD attending a grammar school in Essex already.
KB

Re: KEGS or WHSB

Post by KB »

If you have done all the research and are all happy with both then

1. I would try to make a decision asap and then stop discussing it because there is a danger that it will make your DS uncertain about his eventual choice

2. I really would decide based on speed and ease of traveling both for your DS to get to school ( including extra curricular) and for him and his future friends to get to each other. Being independent in this can make a difference to their experience of school and teenage life.

Great to be in this position!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KEGS nearer a mainline station, but off-site sports facilities.

WHSB longer walk from station, all facilities on-site.

I have to admit that I have only visited either school once (we live a mile away from WHSB and have two DSs, but DS1 looked round WHSB just with DH, didn't like it, and chose SHSB), but those were the main things differentiating the two, objectively. For us, though, if forced only to decide between those two schools, a mile walk vs a choice between three trains, a bus and two trains, a train (or bus) and an expensive but reliable bus, or a single bus taking an hour and a half to wend its scenic but unpunctual way through twenty miles of Essex countryside, WHSB would have been a no-brainer.

(DS2 liked both schools, but in the end, also chose SHSB).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

If you are both happy with both schools, choose the most practical for independent travel. It’s amazing how many things my boys (yr8 & yr10) get involved with at school that require before/after school or weekend attendance - drama, music, sports (+games), School trips, cadets etc.

Good luck choosing. We made the decision to go with WSHB when in your position, it meant less connections as KEGS was 2 trains and WHSB 1 bus journey.

Make a decision and enjoy half term. Well done on passing the 11+
Whatwillbewillbe

Post by Whatwillbewillbe »

Thank you for your replies, they have helped us to reach a decision.