ToadMum wrote:
caringdaddy wrote:From the other group these are the woodford county results

Woodford county scores for 2018 entry
Total girls 1109
Passed 457
x
x
x

I think the exam is on the same day but the standardized scoring is a bit different. So confusing!
The standardised scores are different, because the two groups are not made up of exactly the same candidates. For instance, in theory, anyone living within the common catchment area for WCHS stands a chance of getting one of the 30 open places (on score, regardless of place one residence) at CCHS. However, no-one not living within the common catchment area for WCHS stands a chance of betting a place at WCHS. That and the fact that CCHS is very well placed for transport links, makes it likely that the CCHS cohort will include a large number who also registered in Redbridge (and elsewhere outside catchment, but within reasonable travelling distance / time of Chelmsford), whereas the WCHS cohort will most likely be more geographically homogenous.
In short, all these girls are exclusively for WCHS but the CEM girls are from both areas! :lol: :lol:
pinkrabbit38

Re: CEM 2017 test score

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

tinks110 wrote:Hi there,

I've never posted before as have only just found this board but felt compelled too.

I entered a FoI on 20 October 2017 which hasn't been properly addressed. This is the response I received:

"The purpose of releasing the results before the Common Application Form (CAF) deadline is to provide parents with information to assist when deciding whether to include Chelmsford County High School for Girls as one of the schools listed on the Common Application Form (CAF) to the local authority.

The School does not know at this stage who has formally applied and whether the application of our oversubscription criteria may need to be used.

We recommend parents list schools in the order they would like their daughter to attend, rather than trying to predict where she may be offered a place based on exam results. If you want your daughter to come to this school above any other school, you should put Chelmsford County High School for Girls as your first preference. If the first preference cannot be met, your 2nd, 3rd choice etc. will be considered in accordance with each school's admissions criteria.

Any queries on completing the CAF should be directed to your home local authority."

Not an answer in any which way. I don't really want to push it as I'm well aware that things aren't quite what they seem at CCHS - for example that state school children aren't allowed to visit yet private schools are - so I don't want my child being pushed conveniently to one side because I chose to push for information.

Shame really as I don't think its a particularly fair system or that CCHS operate within the means of what a Grammar School stands for.
Where on earth did you get this information from? Playground gossip?? Utter nonsense
tinks110

Post by tinks110 »

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone. I know it as fact as I know teachers at two different local private schools who confirmed their children had been taken around during the day yet my request to do so was rejected.

I don't tend to listen to tittle tattle. I was just trying to help by saying I'd made a request. I may well follow it up because it's important to me. I won't worry about contributing again.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I can assure you, tinks110, having worked in both the state and private sector, that private school children do not get preferential treatment.

They may have only looked round if they had been offered a late waiting list place and needed at final tour before making the decision.

CCHS has for many years done outreach work (a series of 6 afternoon taster sessions) to the local state schools to get more girls to apply. The actively encourage bright girls from local primaries to come to the school. Private school pupils are not invited to these sessions. WHSG do the same on Saturday mornings in March. These session are for local state school pupils only.
caringdaddy

Post by caringdaddy »

tinks110 wrote:Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone. I know it as fact as I know teachers at two different local private schools who confirmed their children had been taken around during the day yet my request to do so was rejected.

I don't tend to listen to tittle tattle. I was just trying to help by saying I'd made a request. I may well follow it up because it's important to me. I won't worry about contributing again.

Dear TINKS
This forum respects views from all posters. Please don't stop contributing. The CCHS are known to be very conservative when it comes to releasing information about exam results.
Which schools is your DD trying to get into?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Tinks110...I think they have answered your query whic I assume was something relating to over subscription criteria.

Just sitting the test doesn't necessarily mean people will apply. Until they have received applications (after CAF deadline 31st October) they can't see how many have listed them and therefore can't assess over subscription criteria. I'm not sure what you feel they are keeping from you.

With regards to your DD not being allowed to visit, this may have been for perfectly legitimate reasons. The fact that 2 private school children were allegedly allowed to visit may also be perfectly legitimate. You do not know the school's reasoning for this - nor do I suspect did you ask, but you are making a big assumption that is quite negatively dangerous. Those private school children may have had additional needs, or the visits may have been agreed before a change in policy, or a deadline etc.