11+ Braintree

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thumper1982

11+ Braintree

Post by Thumper1982 »

Hi there everyone. This is my first post so apologies if I've missed my answer elsewhere on the forums.

My son is 9 and in year 4. He has recently become very enthusiastic about the 11+ exam.

I have two questions.:

1. Is there anyone else in Braintree? Did you go for chelmsford or Colchester or both? Are the tests the same? What are travel arrangements like?

2. Which workbooks are best for the exam taken in this district?

Thank you all xx
ToadMum

Re: 11+ Braintree

Post by ToadMum »

Thumper1982 wrote:Hi there everyone. This is my first post so apologies if I've missed my answer elsewhere on the forums.

My son is 9 and in year 4. He has recently become very enthusiastic about the 11+ exam.

I have two questions.:

1. Is there anyone else in Braintree? Did you go for chelmsford or Colchester or both? Are the tests the same? What are travel arrangements like?

2. Which workbooks are best for the exam taken in this district?

Thank you all xx
Hi,

Not in Braintree but I would assume that DC from there might go to either KEGS or CRGS. If you are anywhere near the station, KEGS is near the station in Chelmsford and buses seem to come into Chelmsford from all over the place.

The exam is the same for both schools, but KEGS gives priority to boys in catchment for the first 80% of its places (you can check whether you are in catchment on the Essex CC website, on the same page where you check your priority area primary / non-selective secondary, https://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Scho ... fault.aspx), whereas all places at CRGS are allocated according to score only, with no priority area.

All the details about the CSSE exam, links to the websites for all the consortium schools and details of dedicated school buses (more expensive and less flexible than public buses or trains, though, where you have a choice) are on the CSSE

http://www.csse.org.uk
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Thumper1982

Post by Thumper1982 »

Thank you. I have checked that link and we are within catchment for KEGS so i guess thats a good start...
mclm

Post by mclm »

Hi.

I have one DD who has just left ChCHS & one who goes to CoCHS. Both journeys are reasonable. CoCHS have a dedicated bus that leaves London Road at about 7.29 and gets back about 16.45 (various other stops along the way including Braintree bus station). 70 bus to Chelmsford is about 10 minutes shorter. The Colchester bus pass also covers the 70 bus if they have after school activities, etc, although that is quite a long journey so wouldn't want to do that as your first choice.

Both boys schools sit the same exam (the CSSE 11+). I preferred Bond books for mine, but the exam has changed a bit since then so take the advice of the lovely people on this forum what is best these days.
Thumper1982

Post by Thumper1982 »

Thank you mclm. I'm finding the selection of books quite overwhelming and I don't have a lot of money to spend so I need to get the right stuff first time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now