SHSG Offers - 2018 intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Essex Eleven

Re: SHSG Offers - 2018 intake

Post by Essex Eleven »

ToadMum wrote:
missymoo1972 wrote:Arghh just checked with Southend Council and my daughter has gone from 8th to 9th on the waiting list already! The lady has said historically they can go up on the waiting list more with SHSG than WHSG so I'm now panicking. How are people allowed to get added to a waiting list, I understand if mistakes have been made but how else? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Because late applications have to be allowed and have to be added to the waiting list in their correct placing. And waiting lists must be maintained in the same oversubscription criteria order as the original allocations were made, otherwise the Admissions authority would be in breach of the Admissions Code

It may be annoying when you are experiencing it this way round, but imagine that you had to move to another area (or even, you didn't apply to WHSG, even though you live in Manchester Drive, but now something awful has happened and you need a place within walking distance )- if your DD's score / distance would put her at the top of the waiting list, but the admissions authority were allowed to say, sorry, you have to go to the bottom of the list, you would (rightly) feel pretty aggrieved.

Yes, it seems 'unfair' if you are bumped down by someone who has just added SHSG because they are miles down on the ColCHS list, or whatever, and just want a grammar place anywhere, but where they in on the waiting list is controlled by law.
Does that mean an out of catchment child can still move into the catchment area (if they scored over 303) to obtain a place and then cause a drop in position on the waiting list for other children?
Faye

Post by Faye »

1st March my daughter was 7th on the W/L for SHSG. She is now 8th.
WHSG - 47th on the w/l on 1st March, now 44th.
Score 329.011
missymoo1972

Post by missymoo1972 »

Is it just because it means something this year to me but movement seems incredibly slow, slower than previous years? It’s only moved once since offer day and that was in the wrong direction!! Would there normally be a little movement by now? I know last year 20th was offered in may but I have a feeling this year is going to be different. It’s been very strange in many ways so far I’m guessing due to so many more taking it. It’s torture! I remember the head at WHSG saying at the meeting in October he fully expected it to go below 329 but I don’t see that happening either!!
BillBev18

Post by BillBev18 »

missymoo1972 wrote:Is it just because it means something this year to me but movement seems incredibly slow, slower than previous years? It’s only moved once since offer day and that was in the wrong direction!! Would there normally be a little movement by now? I know last year 20th was offered in may but I have a feeling this year is going to be different. It’s been very strange in many ways so far I’m guessing due to so many more taking it. It’s torture! I remember the head at WHSG saying at the meeting in October he fully expected it to go below 329 but I don’t see that happening either!!
I feel your pain, as we only put WHSG. They do say that it gets moving after Easter and you just have to rely on their guidelines in the yellow zone but admissions have pointed out it is just a guideline when I called. I guess if 242 girls have passed in catchment and been offered, if the majority put WHSG then it will be difficult but still have faith. The Southend Head said WHSG cut off at 325 last year and if you look at 2017 cut offs someone who scored 328 was w/l 35 on offer day. Maybe they sit on spaces, maybe people haven’t informed admissions or maybe they are all taken, who knows. Good luck.
Faye

Post by Faye »

Faye wrote:1st March my daughter was 7th on the W/L for SHSG. She is now 8th.
WHSG - 47th on the w/l on 1st March, now 44th.
Score 329.011
Just called Southend council. Now 4th on the w/l for shsg and about 35th for whsg.
dk2011

Post by dk2011 »

At times WL position moves in block. Please don't get overly worried. Most likely WL positions under ten will be offered a place well before the School starts.
Faye

Post by Faye »

Just been offered a place in southend! Was 4th on the w/l last week. Best wishes to you all.
missymoo1972

Post by missymoo1972 »

Just been offered SHSG 328.751. Very relieved! Good luck to all those waiting x
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Congratulations Missymoo! That is great news.
missymoo1972

Post by missymoo1972 »

Thank you! X
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now