Raw scores/percentages

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Greatt84

Raw scores/percentages

Post by Greatt84 »

Hello all, please be gentle :D

I simply don't understand the standardised scores! We are trying for CCHS and I'm wondering roughly what percentages on English and Maths we are aiming for to get a place? I read somewhere over 60% on both?

My daughter just did last year's papers as a mock (just at home), and she got 86% Maths and 73% English.
ToadMum

Re: Raw scores/percentages

Post by ToadMum »

Greatt84 wrote:Hello all, please be gentle :D

I simply don't understand the standardised scores! We are trying for CCHS and I'm wondering roughly what percentages on English and Maths we are aiming for to get a place? I read somewhere over 60% on both?

My daughter just did last year's papers as a mock (just at home), and she got 86% Maths and 73% English.
Do you mean Chelmsford County High, or Colchester?

If Colchester, the calculation employed and the data required (mean score and standard deviation for each paper) is helpfully made available by the CSSE office and is to be found in at least one post by a member called Aang.

Chelmsford County High user the Durham University Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring exam and the data (I believe) is the property of that organisation and raw scores, mean and standard deviation not released.

Sorry, just realised that your must mean ColCHS, as there are no past papers available for Chelmsford County High.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

Greatt84 wrote:Hello all, please be gentle :D

Use the following formula to work it out:
In each case the calculation proceeds as follows:
Standardised score = (((raw score - mean) /standard deviation) x 15) + 100
Total score = 1.5 x standardised Mathematics + 1.5 x standardised English.

The Mean and SD for last 6 years can be found in the thread name "2015 2016 2017 collated score".
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

Here is the cutoff for schools, mean and SD from last few years:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 15&t=53857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greatt84

Post by Greatt84 »

Thank you! I'm still struggling though! So last year': English paper was a mean of 67.1 and standard deviation of 8.1
Marked out of 60.

So how do I work this out?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Greatt84 wrote:Thank you! I'm still struggling though! So last year': English paper was a mean of 67.1 and standard deviation of 8.1
Marked out of 60.

Blitz converted all the scores to percentages for the purpose of comparison with the scores from the 'old' English and Maths papers, which were out of 50 and 40 respectively, rather than 60 for each.

So you have to convert the percentage (mean) back to an actual score first before carrying out the calculation for the standardised score, e.g. 67.1% would be 40.26 / 60. The sd is as reported by the CSSE office and not a percentage, so doesn't have to be converted first.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

Greatt84 wrote:Thank you! I'm still struggling though! So last year': English paper was a mean of 67.1 and standard deviation of 8.1
Marked out of 60.

If you are still confused, post the raw marks and I will work it out for you.
diligent

Post by diligent »

For the sake of simplicity, from previous years results if a child's average score (English and Math, in percentage)is greater than 75% he or she almost guarantee a place at KEGS, CRGS or ColCHS.